what's going on at southwold

Guest Davey Jones

hi all

we went to southwold this weekend,on ariving outside harbour radio to harbourmaster permission to enter, no answer,called again,no reply,final call somedody replied,what do you wont,harbour marster we replied,not here answer come in.

on ariving at morring's fishing boats seem to have taken over,managed to slot in next to a steel boat that was up foresale and a fishing boat 15m gap 14m boat,

sunday harbourmaster office manned,told to contact ortonbroard as they were now looking after southwold, seem's a bit pot luck when manned,two boats left early sunday not able to pay

merlyn

Hi,Merlyn,Nice to speak to you yesterday,did not know you were a member on here,When are you going to clean your boat,ha,ha, going out tommorow afternoon after an engine service and mooring at Coldham Hall to sample some of there food i hear its quite good now.When are you next out as there can't be much else to clean on your boat.. cheersbarcheers:party2::wave

Worst fears confirmed I am afraid Merlyn.

Had heard that Colin was no longer there and that the South African chap (cant remember his name) was now the Harbour Master with help from OBYS staff. Always sounded like a disaster.

Colin ran that place perfectly and would always get you in, there was always help with mooring available too, will no doubt descend into chaos now especially in the event you need to pick up the line laid on the bottom.

Was thinking of running down on Sunday prior to the Salty Bottoms heading that way at Whitsun, just to see how things were before hitting them with multiple boats arriving at the same time. Sounds like it will be a calamity.

Is the Way point the same as last year for the entrance and what depths are they giving out?

Hello Merlyn,

I have had the same problems with Southwold in the past, there used to be full time Harbour Masters there, as well as Harbour Mistress's until they went on the fiddle. I think it is all now controlled by Peter at Oulton Broad YS.

I think you just take pot luck with mooring now and get werever you can, much rafting up in the summer though, and you need fender boards if you are inside.

Place is a dump, in my view, any way!!!!!

Paul

I concur, Southwould is a halfway decent place to go....by car. It's only other advantage is that it's close, me, I wouldn't waste the diesel.

So where would you recommend as a nice run from Lowestoft (not too much futher as I am only just getting her indoors used to the idea of short sea trips)

regards

Wayne

Nowhere really Wayne, unless you fancy pressing on to the Ore and Ald, like I said it's main (only) attraction is it's proximity. The above are only two people's view of the place and I do know that some people like the place and I have heard all the arguments pro about it being old world charm and stuff but to me Walton & Frinton and Woodbridge are old world charm, Soutwold harbour is a place I would run a fishing boat out of and nothing more. You might love it and you won't know untill you've had some really.

Place is a dump, in my view, any way!!!!!

Think that is a bit harsh Paul.

I think Southwold is a lovely place, have to admit that this has been added to by the warm welcome and professionalism of the Harbour Master Colin, over the last couple of years, and my opinions may now change, especially if the mooring situation is going to result in a ramshackle mess of fishing sailing and motor boats all mixed up together.

The Harbour is definitely traditional, the huts and fresh fish sales have a quaintness that you won't find at any other fish sales point, the yacht club bar provides cheap beer, the Harbour Inn is a source of over priced and under quality food but at least you can get some if you are desperate, the chippy sells the best fish and chips you can get anywhere. the beach is nice, you have walks in all directions the town is lovely and it is 25 minutes down the coast.

It is not a town centre marina, nor is it a industrialised port and it definitely needs the weather but given a sunny day I would say Southwold has a charm that it is hard to match anywhere.

Wayne it is the ideal first run for you, easy navigation, not too far and somewhere very different to most places, you even get a bit of simple transit practice through the Harbour, must go place for a stop and who knows you may even like it.

...the yacht club bar provides cheap beer..

Thats good enough for me and I'm sure it beats fitting stairs :lol: - Seriously I have been there several times but we never got any further than the Swan and the Adms shop - so I dont really have any opinion but the Southwold harbour website does make it look a bit . err.."rural"

:):)

I am still looking to join you all at Whitsun to find out, I just have to get some sea training under my belt as she is quite insisant we have a skipper on board first time we go out. :Stinky

regards all

Wayne

In a nutshell you have the keys reasons we moved from the Broads.

The Broads have a charm and character of their own but when you want more than turn up and go boating and more sea based work it really does not work that well unless you are passage making rather than wanting a quick overnight.

You have either the 'clat' to get in and out through Mutford or use Yarmouth. Once you are through the pier heads you can either do the 'island' or run down to Southwold if you want an overnight stop. I like Southwold as a town but like others I am less than enamoured with the harbour but given the choices available there really is no where else much to go, I have also probably been spoilt by our current stomping ground. If the weather is settled Wells could be a possibility particularly as it is in the process of being dredged to give a bigger window.

Personally I don't get a great deal of pleasure from just blatting about with no real destination save for the odd spider clearing session but I can perfectly see that a 'run out' is what is required by many folks to gently cut their teeth in the salt stuff and is a prudent way to gain confidence. To hone skills a bit further and picking a settled period then personally I would be looking to run down to the Orwell and have a few night there if you are looking to combine a short hop destination with skill honing, it would certainly beat Southwold for me but then we are all made different.

One of the reasons we moved to the Orwell was to have more scope for weekends/holidays when in almost any weather you can get out somewhere, it is very much you pays your money and takes your choice.

If we have our fill of being sea based some time in the years to come (I can't imagine that at present) then the Broads would certainly be back on our list. I can perfectly understand the decision that John & Mary Jane made recently and their choice of ship to do it.

Think that is a bit harsh Paul.

I think Southwold is a lovely place, have to admit that this has been added to by the warm welcome and professionalism of the Harbour Master Colin, over the last couple of years, and my opinions may now change, especially if the mooring situation is going to result in a ramshackle mess of fishing sailing and motor boats all mixed up together.

The Harbour is definitely traditional, the huts and fresh fish sales have a quaintness that you won't find at any other fish sales point, the yacht club bar provides cheap beer, the Harbour Inn is a source of over priced and under quality food but at least you can get some if you are desperate, the chippy sells the best fish and chips you can get anywhere. the beach is nice, you have walks in all directions the town is lovely and it is 25 minutes down the coast.

It is not a town centre marina, nor is it a industrialised port and it definitely needs the weather but given a sunny day I would say Southwold has a charm that it is hard to match anywhere.

Wayne it is the ideal first run for you, easy navigation, not too far and somewhere very different to most places, you even get a bit of simple transit practice through the Harbour, must go place for a stop and who knows you may even like it.

Hello Ian,

Whilst my comments were very much tounge in cheek, I still don't like the harbour. I like the town and its quaintness, beach is just the job, I like Walberswick, its just the bit in the middle I dont much care for. As you say, the Harbour inn is the most expensive pub in the universe, the berthing facilities are abomnible,and the ebb tide is somthing to behold.

I am certain many people like the place ,It's just that I dont.

Paul

Hi ian

we used last years,all we had and winged it ,went in 30min's after low water,lowest sounding was .8m ,came out similar time, .6m under us, when go back shall make sure leave it later,as we draw 1.2m.

merlyn

hi barry

just show's you never no who's online,interesting to no how you rate coldham hall ,not been there yet,heard conflicting reports,

merlyn

Yes.I'll let you know how we get on with the food/drink,just booked a mooring there for tommorow evening.£5 electric,or £10 electric and mooring,free mooring if you have a meal. cheersbarcheers

The tides look favourable as far as times are concerned but just coming off springs there will be a fair old flow, tend to try and get in just before high if we can so we more into the flood. The main cabin is in the bow and if it points into the ebb it tends to be a bit noisy there overnight.

If it is still as bad as you say the Salty Bottoms Whitsun cruise may be extended a bit.