The Last Post

Meantime

On 05/07/2018 at 22:01, SwanR said:

I would have been seriously unimpressed if someone had done that to me and spoiled my view. Maybe they didn't cause any problems as they were gone early the next morning but it depends what kind of attitude they displayed. Our experience at Sutton that evening was that the hirers were determined to be where they could get to a pub and just didn't care about the boat or about anyone else.

The next morning we left very early to go back to the yard, probably about 6.30am. I genuinely hit the horn by mistake but we wondered whether they got woken up and thought that we did it on purpose. :)

I completely agree, selfish beyond belief, irrespective of what time they left. So they left at 8am,OK but what if someone else wanted to leave at 7-30?

• Like 1

On 05/07/2018 at 14:49, kingfisher666 said:

There were no last (or even first) posts, but a favourite mooring place, during the seventies, was at the very upstream end of the moorings at Acle bridge (port side, going upstream). It was a five or six hundred yard walk, from the Bridge Inn and most boats would moor a lot closer to the pub. But we always had acoustic guitars and harmonicas on board and tucked away at the very end, we never got any complaints. In those days, the use of rhond anchors was more common than tying to mooring posts... The end of the field, on the opposite side of the river to the 'Woodfarm Inn' was another favourite, where the rhond anchors were used. There were lots of moorings like that, in those far off days and they were all free too...

It still is a good mooring place upstream of where the posts stop and a pleasant walk to the pub. Because I'm perfectly happy to moor at that end I've always been able to moor at Acle. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If the moorings are fairly full, and it's approaching sunset, so not much time to get to anywhere else, then that's the time to help anyone who comes along looking for a space. Having said that, those are often the aggressive people who are in a flap because they've left it too late. They tend to expect that they can barge their way in somewhere.

We had exactly this at Ranworth this year, two massive cruiser coming in late and effectively bullying there way in.

We were on the last corner mooring (bow towards the church, starboard side towards the broad). And as 42’ of Richardson’s low down bath tub we apparently looked like a floating pontoon!!!!!

No access on to the staithe or tie ups other than our boat!!

First lot were polite but not taking no for an answer, happy stretching their bow line a straight across our bow seating, lucky they moved....

Only for a second lot to arrive who were dam rude and aggressive with it!! They kept up the aggressive comments towards us all evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Norfolk Broads Network

• Sad 1