Chart Updates

Hi

Now this is probably going to be a silly question but..

I have downloaded the updates for my paper charts and need to apply the changes. As the charts are made from shiny paper what type of pen / pencil do you use?

Also I am sure I have seen a stencil for symbols somwhere but I now cant seem to find one.

many thanks

Wayne

Wayne

I picked up some very very fine nib ink pens (Black, Red, Green and Magenta) off Ebay that I use on my Admiralty Leisure Folios.

From your description of "Shiny Paper" it sounds as if your are using Imray charts and unfortunately I have never tried my pens on any of those and don't know if the ink would dry properly, or if it did how durable it would be.

I wonder if an email to Imray might get you some more information.

The only Imray charts that I have used are the ones supplied on the charter boats in Greece and those never seem to have had any corrections applied (which is one reason why I have my own chart folio for the Ionian).

All I can say in addition to that is that I can never get my corrections to look as neat as the ones that the Chart Agent's manage to do when I buy a full size Admiraly chart.

When I last set about correcting my Essex and Suffolk Coast folio there had been so many changes to the traffic separation schemes in the lower North Sea I gave up correcting the "wide area" chart for the folio and bought the new edition of the full chart that it was derived from!

(Admiralty charts are always corrected up to the date of sale,

Admiralty Leisure Folios are unfortunately not and if, for example, you buy the current (1st) edition of the Ionian Islands folio you then have 52 pages of NM's to download and plough through applying those that you have been released since the last time you did it !)

All I can say other than that is that I am getting really fed up with recording the position of wind farms and their associated marks!

Martin

Thanks Martin

I bought Imray as personal preference as the sea and land colours made more sense to me - but that's just me. :grin:

I will, as you say, contact Imray.

Maybe - they should provide windmill stickers with new charts so we can add them as they spring up :naughty:

regards

Wayne

Ordered a new C1 imray chart 2010 edition supposedly fully updated for the Thames Estuary last night and could well be buying a couple more, the amount of NM to apply to some of my charts is frightening.

Worth being careful if anyone is buying charts from Ebay, A cursory search brought up a 2008 latest edition a 2009 latest edition with updates to the princess channel, and a 2010 latest edition with multiple updates to the whole chart. ended up paying £5 more at Force 4 for a 2010 edition from a recognised source.

I contacted the Admiralty Chart Agent (http://www.seachest.co.uk/) that I have always got my charts from about pens / stencils etc and the reply that I got from them is shown below. They can supply a stencil kit inc a magenta pen but don't think it is worth having, and do theirs freehand. I just wish my writing was as neat as theirs then!

-----------------------------------

Hello Martin

We do a disposable chart correcting pen in magenta @ £3.95 which suits most people's needs.

There is a Chart correcting stencil kit available inc. the correcting pen @ £34.95, although, to be honest, this is more trouble than its worth & expensive for what it is. We never use this for our chart corrections in the shop; much easier and neater to draw freehand.

Kind Regards

Gill

The Sea Chest Nautical Book Shop

Admiralty Chart Agent

Queen Anne's Battery Marina

Plymouth

PL4 0LP

-----------------------------------------------------

Ordered a new C1 imray chart 2010 edition supposedly fully updated for the Thames Estuary last night and could well be buying a couple more, the amount of NM to apply to some of my charts is frightening.

A man after my own heart!

I looked at the amount of changes around the Thames and the east end of the Channel and decided that even if I did apply them I wouldn't be able to read anything on the chart anyway, and then worked out the cost to me of a new chart against the hours of working out lat and long positions, and cross checking them before putting pen to paper...

With the Admiralty charts I do like it when they issue a partial reprint for a section of the chart and you can then just print it off, trim the edges and stick it on your chart. Unfortunately they don't do enough of them that way!

Maybe - they should provide windmill stickers with new charts so we can add them as they spring up.

I remember having to update my Guide to Admiralty symbols a year or so back to add the windmill symbol to that... :lol:

I went to download the updates for my charts last evening and found that I could not get them for the issue I had. They have been reprinted and only the latest reprint updates are available. I was a bit annoyed as I bought the charts the last month from large reputable companies and they would have been at least two months past the reprint date at that time. :mad:

I have contacted Imray who have agreed to replace these FOC. cheers

From now on I will get my charts directly from Imray so I know I am not buying old and out of date stock.

rgds

Wayne

If any of you wish to do this practice I'm sure I can find a very long list of companies who would be only too pleased to let you have a go :naughty::naughty:

Rod

Rod, I remember back when I used to buy charts from Kelvin Hughes near Tower bridge, they had an old gentleman that seemed to sit there all day updating the things.

Ok ok, so now my concience is being pricked. I haven't updated any of my charts so I suppose I'd better get on with it before the London trip. I have both Admiralty leisure folio and Imray charts. Are the updates easy to find on websites??

Imray are only listing 3 corrections to the March 2010 Thames Estuary chart and those are alterations to three buoys from bells to whistles. apparently there were boat loads of alterations to the previous two issues so may be worth biting the bullet and buying a new C1 Chart.

Imray are only listing 3 corrections to the March 2010 Thames Estuary chart and those are alterations to three buoys from bells to whistles. apparently there were boat loads of alterations to the previous two issues so may be worth biting the bullet and buying a new C1 Chart.

I haven't got the C1 chart yet Ian, so I'll make sure I get the correct edition.