Royal Velvet 2 And 3

Broads01

Enjoy Andy. For my trip last week I ended up on Benmore 2 because I had my Mum with me, but I do fancy one if the Velvets for the future. 

Bearing in mind the time of year and having hired with Barnes twice this year, I'm happy to say they're doing something right with their batteries. On both boats I could switch the heating on whenever and even the microwave and the voltage always held up without ever needing to start the engine. Very impressive. 

• 1 year later...

I'm a solo traveller and have hired both Royall Velvet 2 and 3 over the past couple of years, and hired 3 back in the late '90s when she was Yare Twilight from Bristers. I enjoyed both, and they are still fine boats after many years on the rivers. Choosing between them comes down to personal preferences, but I would probably go with 3 again for the following reasons. The hydraulic drive over 2's shaft drive makes it a far quieter cruise. The bath on 2 - which some might find superfluous - makes the heads compartment larger, which means that the island bed in the aft cabin is very tight to move around. Also the WC is smaller which may not suit those with a slightly larger posterior! I found the fore and aft bed on 3 the more comfortable of the two. Both boats were very well prepared by Barnes, and I found their service to be of the highest order. 

I'm going with Silverline this year for the first time on Silver Mystaire, as it will be nice to see over the reeds for a change, but have booked Royall Satin for next year for the extra space. I last hired her in the late '90s when she was with Royalls and am looking forward to being 'reunited' with her again after all these years!

• Like 4

Hi there and welcome. That's excellent and very detailed information, thanks for sharing. I'm still interested in the Velvets so your post is very useful.

Will you be solo on Silver Mystaire? I've never been sure whether Silverline allow solo hirers or not.

I like to add about Royal Velvet 2&3 as I've been on them both. They are very. nice Boats to have as the Royals look after them very well as they are now in the hands of Barnes  Brink  I don't think it will be the same.... TLC theses Boats have had in the past  under as the Royals set a very high Standards on all Thier other Boats at the time as they are now longer there now what a Shame. 

• Like 2