Old Broads Hire Boats

Matthew12

Early Seventies my first hire boat Angelina Bee , Bees Boats out of Brundall wooden cruiser ( not sure about the hull) but I know it had a Petrol Engine.

Second time out White Dolphin 2  a big lump mostly wood from Hippersons Beccles have hired hundreds of times since some yards are even still going!

My first hire boat was an Elysian 27 Centre Cockpit in blue from I think Herbert Woods it was called "(Something?) Light", it would be in the late 70s maybe '78'. I am the one in the Captains hat and my mate Rob looking like someone out of the pop group Buggles! I remember the 3D Bass Boost Ghetto Blaster that we took along, held about 10 batteries and weighed a ton...and cost it in batteries too!....and yes I am drinking alcohol and steering with my feet... :default_icon_e_confused:

FB_IMG_1589309879074.jpg

FB_IMG_1589309916752.jpg

We are relative newbies to this. Our first hireboat holiday was in 2000 on the Broads onboard Brinks Breakaway for a week. (Now used as dayboats and renamed Brinks Sunrise)

It was an incredibly small boat for a week away but we loved it none the less. 

Here it is pictured outside the Reedham Ferry in the little cut out well aground as the tide had gone out.

We had a good chat with the owners of the boat with the green hoods you can just make out on the far left of the picture in the pub that night while we waited for the tide to float the boat again so we could shift it somewhere more sensible. We met the same chap again in 2007 at the sales yard where we bought our boat Naughty-Cal and are still good friends all these years later. :default_biggrin:

10383010_955869241132384_7010691134536070941_n.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/05/2020 at 15:37, Jemaki said:

My first hire boat was an Elysian 27 Centre Cockpit in blue from I think Herbert Woods it was called "(Something?) Light", it would be in the late 70s maybe '78'. I am the one in the Captains hat and my mate Rob looking like someone out of the pop group Buggles! I remember the 3D Bass Boost Ghetto Blaster that we took along, held about 10 batteries and weighed a ton...and cost it in batteries too!....and yes I am drinking alcohol and steering with my feet... :default_icon_e_confused:

FB_IMG_1589309879074.jpg

FB_IMG_1589309916752.jpg

I believe it would of been crystal light

• Like 1

• 1 month later...