Boat scrap yards or old fashioned junk yards in Norfolk

Guest pmorten

Hi

I work on a new TV series called 'Salvage Hunters', we are looking for interesting locations containing unusual old objects and are filming in the Norfolk area next week. Does anyone know of any boat scrap yards or old fashioned junk yards in the area?

We filmed at Charity Dock boat yard on the Coventry Canal which was a great place and we are looking for something similar.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Paul, one place you could try is Wayford bridge boatyard. Although NOT a sc rap yard of old boats, there are lots of project boats there, or there were the last time we stopped there. There were also a few "project" boats at the back of Eastwood Whelptons yard at Upton. Another place i can think of is behind the boatyards at Chedgrave where there were several old boats on what looks like waste ground. I hope this helps, and i`m sure some of the other forumites will be able to tell you of others. Reagsrd ..................... Neil.

I wish there was a boat salvage yard on the Broads, (though my wife would be very upset).

The nearest thing I can thank of is "The Martham Boat Development Company" at Cess Road, Martham, on the Thurne.

Not a salvage yard as such either, but they have a lot of old wooden cruisers and yachts chocked up outside, as you can see from the Google Earth photo. I believe they've thinned them out a bit since I was last working on one in there, but it was amazing then, rows and rows of wooden craft, mostly quite dilapidated.

The building itself is quite interesting for a TV program, it dates from WW2, when it was used to make Bailey Bridge pontoons, and the 2 vast workshops (like aircraft hangers) were actually constructed largely from the steel girder bridge sections and marine ply prefabricated sections of the pontoons. The owner showed me the pit in there where they tested their watertightness before dispatch.

They are still a thriving boat hire firm, as well as offering the workshop and storage facilities to DIY owners (on a grand scale).

They have a website at http://www.marthamboats.com

post-669-136713810074_thumb.jpg

Hi all

Thanks for having me on your forum, thanks in particular for the replies from Annie, Daytona-Bill, Strowager, and Jill_R – I’m chasing up your helpful suggestions now!

I’ll just to give you a bit more context in case anywhere else comes to mind:

The series follows architectural salvage experts in their search for unusual or unwanted decorative objects. In the programme we aim to use quintessentially British locations and have already seen some unique items – including art pieces from Blackpool illuminations, ironwork from the historic Brighton West Pier and highly collectable fairground art from Carters Steam Fair.

Our experts are looking to buy a wide range of old objects from boats, homes and institutions – windows and doors, decorative woodwork, figureheads, lights, signs, bikes, garden ornaments, chairs, tables, cabinets - all kinds of antiques and curiosities. Part of the fun for the viewers is opening the door on an Aladdin’s cave of hidden treasures, large volumes of things are great, even piles of junk.

We are following objects from they are sourced through the restoration process to when they are purchased and installed by their new owners.

Along the way we will inform viewers about the historical interest of the objects as well as celebrating the craft involved in construction and restoration work.

Atached is a picture of one of my favourite locations, Charity Dock on the Coventry Canal, it’s quite a place to see…

Please let me know if you have any other ideas at all and thanks again.

post-1193-136713810481_thumb.jpg

Guest DAYTONA-BILL

Hi Paul, thanks for the heads up on the forthcoming series. Can you (as yet) tell us the name of the series, and also which channell it`s likely to be on?. Regards ................... Neil.

Hi Paul, thanks for the heads up on the forthcoming series. Can you (as yet) tell us the name of the series, and also which channell it`s likely to be on?. Regards ................... Neil.

yer will be good to have another boating program on tv

Jonny

Sounds like a really interesting series to look forward to.

Im guessing the ideal is locations for treasures before they reach the architectural salvage/reclamation yards?

We have what is (apparently) a World War One slegde on our bedroom wall!! Its fairly flat with wooden runners, bound with twine and leather and with a pulling rope. It is now adorned with lights, a trilby, scarves, pashminas, a black feather boa............and Gav's prized Lancia steering wheel!

There's a place in Ipswich called Orwells (formerly Orwell Pine), they make bespoke pine furniture, kitchens etc, restore old pieces, dip doors etc, sell reclaimed items. They have been in Ipswich for years and owned a large stretch of the waterfront. Some of what they owned i believe they have now sold, but in clearing out old buildings the owners son found about 5 or 6 of these sledges, well and truly forgotten about-he'd sold a couple to someone he knew and their find came up in general chit chat with Mary the owner when id gone in one day.............one of those totally random purchases, slightly off track from the tin of paint id popped in for!!

They may have some interesting things lurking about still, or may be a good source of information. (is Suffolk ok as you had said you were looking in Norfolk?)

Its a real shame you are only looking at Norkolk because probably the best known Boat scrappy (which is like alladins cave) is down here in Woodbridge - Run by Andy Seedhouse and his son James, it is worth a visit as much in stock are museum pieces and we've found some great things there!!!!

I wish we had a place like that up here in Norfolk.

I used to go there a lot over ten years ago, never managed to leave the place without lots of new treasure.... (but she never agreed)

post-669-136713810762_thumb.jpg

Its a real shame you are only looking at Norkolk because probably the best known Boat scrappy (which is like alladins cave) is down here in Woodbridge - Run by Andy Seedhouse and his son James, it is worth a visit as much in stock are museum pieces and we've found some great things there!!!!

I agree Gav,there is also plenty of rubbish on display at Portman Road,not like up the road at Carrow Road, 4-1 and 5-1 what results for the old enemy.

:naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

Hi

Thanks again for the latest tips and comments, particular thanks to G&A and My little boat. Actually we are filming nationwide but happen to be in Norfolk this week.

I have put in a call to Andy Seedhouse Boats but they didn't feel they had anything suitable which is a shame for me! It is possible though that a Chandlery would be too organised for the show. It's dead right that we are looking to find unusual antiques before they get to shops... old fashioned scrap yards are disappearing fast!

I will get in touch with the furniture shop in Ipswich to see if they have any sugestions.

cheers

Paul

I wish we had a place like that up here in Norfolk.

I used to go there a lot over ten years ago, never managed to leave the place without lots of new treasure.... (but she never agreed)

Ah Andy Seedhouse Strowy.

Many of the 'old school' yotties down our end go misty eyed at their name many bought their first craft from there and can't resit a poke around