Salties Whitsun

Hi all

A few of the Salites met up on Oulton Broad to watch the powerboat racing on Monday. Rafted up with BBQs going on the back of the boats this was the start of which turned out to be a great week.

After a quite(ish) day on Oulton broad on Tuesday the Salties decided to split up - a few went to Beccles and we decided to lock through with some others and see if the calm seas we were forcast would actually happen. Getting through the lock at 5.00 pm was perhaps not the best plan as soon as we were in the front chamber and Crackerjack was in the lock the staff said they could not open the road bridge until 6.00 because of traffic curfew so we spent a nice hour in the lock. We decided that a beer was in order and crew Crackerjack cooked their dinner. Soon we were on our way again and joined by Osprey we settled down at RNSYC for a few more beers.

Wednesday morning brought with it a really flat sea, so the three boats cruised down to Southwold for lunch at the Sole bay fish resturant. The plan was we would fill up with diesel brim full, do the trip and brim again on the way back to see what fuel we used. That evening a BBQ on the dockside whilst the kids watched Harry Potter on DVD.

Thursday morning brought a similar flat sea, so we quickly dropped the ribs and headed out to sea for a play. When we got out there we found the rib coastal voyager who was only to pleased to play with us and chop the water up. That afternoon we continued the rib fun in the waterski zone with the kids taking turn on the ringo and Sharron of Osprey demonstrating her expertise on skis ( the rib driver did a fantastic job too!). That afternoon dead on low water (a little later than planned due to some skipper error with regard to battery switches) we left Southwold for Hamilton dock. Leaving on dead low water was a tad "interesting" picking our way through very shallow water (around 1.1 mtrs on the depth sounder) a good way out of the harbour.

Friday was reckoning day - we filled back up - I dont want to talk about the results. We then decided that the boys would take Katy out for a play in rather lumpy sea, while the girls took the kids roller skating. That afternoon we headed up to Beccles where we met up with Clanny, headed up to the Geldeston locks by rib for curry, where we also met up with crew Escape.

Saturday was a chill out day, the kids went to Beccles lido, we went to the pound shop and Bear and Bells! In the afternoon everyone set about cleaning their boats - including fenders! Late afternoon , when the tide was low enough (just) we slipped lines yet again and headed for a final dockside BBQ at WRC.

All in all a fantastic week, as always and in fanstastic company. Back to work tomorrow but at least we have some more great memories, photos and sunburn to remember the week. A few photos follow

rgds

Wayne

post-710-136713820383_thumb.jpg

post-710-136713820405_thumb.jpg

post-710-136713820676_thumb.jpg

post-710-136713820695_thumb.jpg

post-710-136713820717_thumb.jpg

Oh... and whilst we are not talking of fuel consumption this shows a semi does not have to be slow :grin::grin::grin:

Should we post the fuel consumtion figures :grin:

We had a great week and would like to thank everyone for making it enjoyable.

sorry for the hold up at southwold :oops: .

Ok the fuel consumtion. 1st Osprey 1.18 mpg

2nd Crackerjack 0.97 mpg

3rd Catakalouse 0.78 mpg :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Hi Col

I think I did not brim the tanks - I filled from one side on a share pipe. When I filled second time I really slowed down the flow to squeeze all the air out. When we went out the gauges were not banging high - so the jury is still out !

The others will say I was runiing WOT all the way - but I dont know what they mean :grin:

rgds

Wayne

Osprey 103ltrs 25mile = 1.09mpg

Crackerjack 111ltrs 25miles=1.01mpg

Katacalousse 157ltrs 25miles=0.71mpg

Crackerjack used about what I expected although she used about 20% more on the engine that white smokes on shut down from full power which suggests over fueling and new injectors needed. Katacalouse may not of been full on the first fill and Osprey used 50% more on one engine than the other which seems a little excessive :o . The cruising speed was 16/17kts but a more economical 14kts may be in order in future :grin: .

Osprey 103ltrs 25mile = 1.09mpg

Crackerjack 111ltrs 25miles=1.01mpg

Katacalousse 157ltrs 25miles=0.71mpg

Crackerjack used about what I expected although she used about 20% more on the engine that white smokes on shut down from full power which suggests over fueling and new injectors needed. Katacalouse may not of been full on the first fill and Osprey used 50% more on one engine than the other which seems a little excessive :o . The cruising speed was 16/17kts but a more economical 14kts may be in order in future :grin: .

25 miles used 22.656 gallons = 1.103 mpg ;)

Just having a look through the photos from the power boat racing, I seem to have come accross some with a rather strange boat racing, maybe someone will be able to shed some light on its type and answer the question how come it was in front??

:grin:

Looking at the back Gav, is that not one of those water ingested engines? may explain the speed.