Setting A Bad Example?

Coryton

Before hiring this year I was a good boy and watched all the Broads safety videos.

I'm pretty sure at some point they mentioned that it is a Bad Idea to sit with your legs on the outside of a moving boat.

In any case it doesn't sound like a very good idea to me.

So maybe photos of boats for hire shouldn't show someone doing just that?

I think there might also have been something in the videos suggesting that life jackets are a good idea when on the deck of a moving boat.

• Like 1

On rivers with locks crush injuries from legs over the side must be one of the biggest hazards, way more likely than drowning.

Of course theres no weight to a boat as it will move with a slight push, but 6 ton of momentum against a solid stone edge (or another 6 ton boat) will do some horrific injuries.

6 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Of course theres no weight to a boat as it will move with a slight push, but 6 ton of momentum against a solid stone edge (or another 6 ton boat) will do some horrific injuries.

You can easily see why canals were such a great invention when moving a cruiser along on the ropes.