Nighttime Rules

Andrewcook

23 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

Anyone employed on a yard, who works on gas installations, must be gas safe qualified, and that means everyone.  It is not permitted to have one qualified, who "supervises" the others.  Gas systems are tested every spring before hiring starts.

There may now be a new certificate required but I have not heard of it.

In the UK anyone who rents out property has to have an annual Landlords gas safety check completed on all the gas appliances, boiler, cooker etc. This has to be completed by a Gas Safe engineer. As of the last 12 months electrical systems have also been covered by a similar inspection regime, although only required every five years.

The BSS test is only once every four years so I suspect that a similar gas safety check has to be completed annually by a Gas Safe engineer for any boat hired out to comply in a similar way as residential property landlords have to.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/gas/landlords/safetycheckswho.htm

The above covers which properties need a gas landlords safety check, I'd be surprised if there wasn't an equivalent annual check needed on hire boats in addition to the normal 4 yearly BSS check.

Edited to add this taken from the Gas Safe website:

"What is LPG?

Liquefied petroleum gas, or LPG, such as propane or butane, is a flammable fuel that’s used in heating appliances, cooking equipment, and vehicles. You’re likely to come across LPG in camping equipment, BBQ's, and patio heaters, and it’s also frequently used in dwellings like caravans, cabins, boats and rural homes.

Remember, if you rent out your dwelling - even if it’s just a short-term let - you’re classed as a landlord with legal duties when it comes to liquid petroleum gas safety - and gas safety in general."

• Like 1

We arrived at our caravan at havens hopton last Sept and the engineer was just finishing the gas safety check. Reception thought he had already finished it. He told us it was a year long job for him going from van to van, so I assume !! It's the same for boats. That said boats heat there water by other means then gas so it's only the cooker/hob. I know brinks are fitting electric oven type things into all there new boats. 

I was CORGI back in the day, each boat had a check sheet completely annually in addition to the BSS.  Not sure who policed them as I was on the tools then and not an office wallah. 

There was some discussion at the time as some BSS examiners were passing comments on gas systems without them having been on any Corgi training.  I spent 4 days, I think, training followed by an assessment.  The also used to do on the spot checks.

Think we became Corgi mid 90's, I remember mentioning it to a boat yard in Wroxham in passing and they looked at me like I had 2 heads !