Wx Will We Buck The Trend?

ChrisB

Coronations, Jubilees and National Celebrations have had a fearsome reputation and history weather wise for many, many years. However looking at the N. Atlantic charts and forecast this morning it looks fair for the weekend at present.

I was 3 at the Coronation but they say it was dire

27 at the 25th so remember it so well. One of the coldest, wettest and windy June weeks on record. It was the first season afloat for the SeaWych that we built. We motor sailed between Cobbs Quay and Wareham Quay with no main just a heavily reefed jib. Judith, myself and a two year old on a 19 footer! But we stuck it out for a whole week.

Don't remember the 50th in 2002, but I did imbibe in those days.

60th also cold and wet, a lot of us trying to follow Broad Ambitions progress to and from the River Pageant. 

Let us hope that the weather is kind for people who have put a lot of effort into organising events and that as a Nation  we enjoy a long Bank Holiday after the trials and tribulations of the last two years.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

I was 3 at the Coronation but they say it was dire

It was!

I was there, Age 6.

I remember the procession down the Mall, with the Queen of Tonga, sitting in the pouring rain in an open carriage.  She refused to have the canopy put up, so that she could wave to the crowds.  She got a huge cheer in return.

Something else I remember - all the soldiers.  The entire route of the procession was lined on both sides with troops, standing only an arm's length apart, "in dressing".  I don't suppose we have enough troops in the whole army, to do that now!

Edited by Vaughan
line added
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Vaughan said:

I remember the procession down the Mall, with the Queen of Tonga, sitting in the pouring rain in an open carriage.  She refused to have the canopy put up, so that she could wave to the crowds.  She got a huge cheer in return.

My mother (or was it grandmother) used to tell that story.

At the time of the coronation I was 11 months old - I believe my mother followed events on the radio.

My parents bought a "9 inch PYE" specially for the day. About 2 years later it was taken to the electrical shop for upgrade and had a switch installed we could then receive ITV.

I remember The Adventures of Robin Hood on ITV with Richard Greene and Bernadette O' Farrell.

743107032_Richard_Greene_-_TV_Radio_Mirror_April_1956.thumb.jpg.38330df9d9e731148ceb756b58cb4736.jpg

1280373648_Bernadette_OFarrell_-_Sponsor_July_25_1959.jpg.f4f3a88f541c3af2be3787ae28bd5b9f.jpg

• Like 1