That's Me Busy For A While Then

dom

8 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

In my opinion it is sometimes better to not be so worried about cosmetic appearance and more about relatability and comfort internally, over £5,000 was spent effectively changing my boat from a blue and white one to a red and white one just to make me 'my own' and perhaps in hindsight that was not as needed as I believed at the time.

I've already had that conversation with myself, having learnt similar lessons with cars. I did consider a full repaint, but think I'm going to just "make do and mend" for the time being, as there's lot to do on the inside first. The aft cabin is not too bad fortunately, but the forward one is in a horrendous state. From new, it just had some thinly padded vinyl roughly stuck to the hull sides. There's nothing at all under the foredeck, just bare GRP. I have a few ideas in mind, but need to check viability next time I'm on board.

• Like 1

Under the foredeck is where I put vinyl covered 1/2" cellotex on my princess as it's where we sleep,  makes a big difference in winter,  and the spaces that are not big enough or too curved got a couple of layers of foil covered bubble wrap for extra insulation. 

On 26/08/2023 at 19:01, dom said:

She was originally Benson Harmony, so quite probably with Benson Cruisers, who were bought by Maidboats?

Benson Harmony doesn't appear in any brochure whilst Benson Cruisers were still operating. It only appears in 1992 when the site was trading as Benson Pleasurecraft. I suspect from the branding that might be when Richardsons bought up many Thames hire fleets. At that time a lot of boats were relocated and renamed.

• Like 1

On 30/08/2023 at 15:36, RS2021 said:

Benson Harmony doesn't appear in any brochure whilst Benson Cruisers were still operating. It only appears in 1992 when the site was trading as Benson Pleasurecraft. I suspect from the branding that might be when Richardsons bought up many Thames hire fleets. At that time a lot of boats were relocated and renamed.

Hi

Congratulations on your purchase

I remember her as Benson Harmony (I even remember taking the photo that appears on the database, on the way to my Sister's!)

As has been worked out, she appeared there from 1992 when, following Richardsons having bought Maidboats and their Benson, Thames Ditton and Wallingford sites became Benson Pleasurecraft, Ferryline Cruisers and Maidline Cruisers respectively, for 1992).

Many boats were ex Maidboats, but indeed several came from other fleets and locations/countries and your boat is one of these.

Cheesman Rollo & Co did fit them and there were a fair number, all which have the saloon/galley combined.  I think the pull out settee was probably an alteration (possibly as 6 couldn't really fit round the dinette!)

Other fleets that ran some of these for a time include

Waterline of Staines/Maidenhead, "Sunlit Water"

Bridge Boats of Reading "Thames Corniche/Crystal" (Southwind Girl is one of these) 

Crown Cruisers of Somerleyton & France, "Crown Tamaris" (initial/original versions)

Abbey Cruisers of Fort Augustus, "Abbey Sandpiper"

Reading Marine, "Reading Princess"

Here are a few pics, including her at her base in York, in 2004, who I think are likely to have been the first to have painted the superstructure, and at the time she looked pristine

Kind Regards

Dan

AbbeySandpiper 1992.JPG

SunlitWater 1987.JPG

Thames Corniche 1987.JPG

reading princess.JPG

YORKTRIP0029.JPG

YORKTRIP0026.JPG

YORKTRIP0025.JPG

• Like 4

Thanks @Dan all these images are great, and especially the last 3 showing her with the Blakes stickers. My mum was a booking agent for Blakes for many years. I can't remember offhand exactly when she left or whether she was stil there in '04, but it's entirely possible she may have booked holidays on my boat.

It's good to see her in better condition too, albeit minus screens, which looks a bit bare. It also appears to confirm my suspicion that air draft is limited by the morse control. Not the cleverest of moves siting it there - unless it's designed to back out automatically if you try and pass under too low a bridge :8_laughing:

• Haha 3

On 01/09/2023 at 23:33, dom said:

Thanks @Dan all these images are great, and especially the last 3 showing her with the Blakes stickers. My mum was a booking agent for Blakes for many years. I can't remember offhand exactly when she left or whether she was stil there in '04, but it's entirely possible she may have booked holidays on my boat.

It's good to see her in better condition too, albeit minus screens, which looks a bit bare. It also appears to confirm my suspicion that air draft is limited by the morse control. Not the cleverest of moves siting it there - unless it's designed to back out automatically if you try and pass under too low a bridge :8_laughing:

Ah your welcome Dom

I do have a couple of pictures of her not sandwiched between boats that were taken a bit earlier, but are therefore not digital and I cannot face rummaging in the loft to try & find them!

You have probably seen a small file version here though:

http://norfolk.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Boat_Photograph&photo=na_29935&BoatId=9875&BoatHistory=29935

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Boat_Details&BoatHistory=29935&BoatId=9875

Dan