That's Me Busy For A While Then

dom

As you may know (thanks to those who answered previous questions), I've been on the lookout for a 30 something foot cruiser to buy for a while. I come from a very boaty background (dad owned a Broom, mum worked for Blakes, I worked on turnaround and other stuff at Summercraft in my mid to late teens, as well as racing yachts in annual regattas), so I wanted something slightly more stylish (but possibly less practical) than a 'bathtub'.

NYA at Brundall had an Aquafibre 32 which caught my eye, originally advertised at £35k. I went and had a look but, as it was one of the first boats I'd viewed, ex-hire and fully painted, was a bit put off by the condition. I subsequently spent quite a few days looking at everything in budget in Norfolk, plus a couple of other options on the Cambridgeshire Ouse. Among the options was a Sancerre 33, in stunning condition externally for her age at St.Ives in Cambs. After a disappointing day in Norfolk not finding anything new, I decided to put a bid in on her. Arriving home, I went to get the number for the broker only to find a sale had been agreed. I went and saw them the next day and they confirmed she was sold pending the usual, the sale having been agreed whilst I was up in Norfolk :default_smiley-angry047:

Lots more trips out looking around and I kept seeing Aquafibre 32s, as well as a stunning Broom 9/70 (basically the same boat fitted out much better) - none of them on the market and all would've been out of my budget range in the short term anyway. So I took another trip to NYA at Brundall and gave 'Sunlight' (now priced a shade under £30k) a proper viewing. I'd had a copy of an earlier survey, so knew everything wrong with her, most of which the last owner hadn't fixed. I really couldn't make my mind up how I felt about her. She's got a very basic fitout from her days starting out on the Thames, is really rough round the edges, but a lovely design and ideal for me. After coming home that day, I wrote a list of her issues, and noted what I thought she was worth to me. Not sure whether the price was being too cheeky, I did nothing for a while.

Fast forward a few days and I got an email from NYA asking what I thought. I went back saying I was unsure due to some of the faults. A short while later, they came back saying the buyer was keen to sell and would accept a price a bit lower than the one I'd set myself. As it gave me a bit of spare cash to throw at her to start the improvements off, I agreed to buy, put down a deposit, then took her for a river trial today.

So, assuming no new issues are flagged by a survey, the soon to be renamed (once I've had a talk to her and Poseidon) 'Sunlight' will be mine in a few weeks time.

Another member on here commented that she needs £15k spending on her. I'd agree entirely, but can hopefully cut that by doing a lot of the work myself.

First jobs are:

• Remove the hideous stitched on name on the dodgers
  • Try and tighten the baggy dodgers themselves, if not they're going in the bin
  • Drain and flush the water tanks. I forgot she'd been sat a while and put my hand under the tap when testing the water pump. The resultant smell I can only describe as half bleach, half botulism. I think I'll be drinking bottled water for a while....
  • Try and get something into the bilges to get them smelling a bit fresher. Anyone got any recommendations?

After that, it's going to be a long hard slog replacing galley doors and worktops, a lot of the soft linings and endless cleaning, painting and rewiring.

I'm not sure which emotion I'm experiencing more - fear or excitement! There's a lovely boat in there somewhere, but it's going to take a huge effort to bring her back up to scratch.

DSC_2500.JPG

• Like 15

Congratulations on your purchase Dom, I recall this design from a friend who had one of these circa 30 years ago, the saloon was a very nice place to be and your post has brought back some happy memories of time spent aboard a sistership Birdland.

Not sure about bilge treatment but I find fridges never smell when you leave squeezed lemon or lime cast offs in them so maybe toss the leftovers in there whilst enjoying the luxury of your gin palace!

• Like 2

@Turnoar The saloon in this one is unusual, having the galley along one side, rather than the more usual galley down starboard similar to bigger Brooms. I've only seen a few others with similar layout. I think they were probably all Thames boats and suspect this may have been the first trial run fit out. It's very basic in places, but that's possibly no bad thing, as less to strip out to refit. I did contemplate moving the galley, but it's a lot of work and I'm not sure it suits my needs. There are a couple of features I'd like to add which'll make better use of the space.

She's a long way from a gin palace and I don't generally drink these days, but I am looking forward to kicking back with a fishing rod and a beer or two for a few evenings before getting too stuck in with improvements. Just a bit frustrating buying just as summer's coming to an end!

• Like 3

I bought my AF32 from Astons hire fleet, a well maintained example. Didn't stop me spending 20 years and countless thousands on her! Congrats on your purchase, may you get as much enjoyment from this fine design as I and my crews did. 

• Like 1

Congratulations Dom, you are starting from a sound base, tis all cosmetics and diy stuff really - Your gonna have a ball :default_beerchug:

My 'Advice' just tackle one job / issue / item at a time - fully.  Then move onto the next one.  Don't look at the overall picture in one go - the task and price will be daunting and will only send you into despair. One day at a time

Griff

• Like 2

I did have a look at Sweet Kingfisher. Most of what put me off was just issues inherent to the design. The port side only door didn't really appeal. If you have to moor starboard side on, having to walk around the deck on the river side is a bit offputting. If you're on a tidal section, or on board alone, it'd really warrant wearing a lifejacket, which isn't something you really want to have to do just to get onto the bank. The lower helm being central also tends to hog a bit of space.

I also thought from the ad that she was original gelcoat, but it quickly became apparent she's painted. I ended up taking the view that if I'm going to buy a painted boat, I might as well stick with the AF32, which was just that bit more appealing to me in terms of design and layout.

The only other comment I would make is that both corners of the big hireboat style fender rubber are kinked and lifting away from the transom corners. Not sure if it's a recent issue, and probably relatively easy to rectify, but where she's sitting, it's one of the first things you see, which immediately gives a negtive impression. If it's a brokerage sale for the owner, rather than one of their stock boats, it's probably worth fixing, as I heard at least one other group viewing boats comment on it.

• Like 1

Is this your boat, Dom?

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Boat_Details&BoatId=9875&BoatHistory=67673

It looks to have been in the old Maidboats fleet years back but I think possibly a Thames hireboat when it was new. I know Bushnells at Maidenhead had these. It seems to have been in private hands for the years it's been on the Broads though.

6 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Is this your boat, Dom?

http://www.broads.org.uk/wiki2018/index.php?title=Boat_Details&BoatId=9875&BoatHistory=67673

It looks to have been in the old Maidboats fleet years back but I think possibly a Thames hireboat when it was new. I know Bushnells at Maidenhead had these. It seems to have been in private hands for the years it's been on the Broads though.

Yep, that's her. She was originally Benson Harmony, so quite probably with Benson Cruisers, who were bought by Maidboats? That might explain why she was fitted out so sparsely if the yard were either struggling financially, or aware they might sell out in the near future.

366S (now Softwind Girl, I think possibly moored at Cox's) had a similar saloon galley and a previous name Harmony, so quite likely an earlier sister boat.

It's funny seeing these place names. My sister lived in Benson for years before moving to Caversham and my dad was born in Maidenhead.

• Like 2

The build and materials looks very similar to a range of boats fitted out by Chessman Rollo near Staines in the early 80's, most were sold to a company called Eurocruisers who went bust in the mid 80's.  Some ended up with Maidboats / Benson Pleasurecraft, Kris Cruisers / King Line had about 5 if I recall correctly.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dom said:
10 hours ago, Broads01 said:

Is this your boat, Dom?

Expand  

Yep, that's her. She was originally Benson Harmony, so quite probably with Benson Cruisers, who were bought by Maidboats? That might explain why she was fitted out so sparsely if the yard were either struggling financially, or aware they might sell out in the near future.

Thought so. I know the Benson river front well and hired from there in the "New Horizon" (now Richardsons) days and again with Le Boat. I only know Benson Cruisers from historic brochures but as your boat was with Maidboats afterwards then what you're saying makes sense.

On 26/08/2023 at 21:13, NeilB said:

The build and materials looks very similar to a range of boats fitted out by Chessman Rollo near Staines in the early 80's, most were sold to a company called Eurocruisers who went bust in the mid 80's.  Some ended up with Maidboats / Benson Pleasurecraft, Kris Cruisers / King Line had about 5 if I recall correctly.

She is indeed a Cheeseman Rollo I believe and one of the earliest AF Sapphire 32's built, which explains the unusual layout.

• Like 1

I love these boats, and they are few and far between coming to market - so when one does my interest peaks. I think this would make a great boat once the issues are sorted cosmetically. Boats truly are funny things, because even decent ones usually have plenty of areas where money can be spent on them. It will be good to see the changes as they come about and you turn this into your own pride and joy.

In my opinion it is sometimes better to not be so worried about cosmetic appearance and more about relatability and comfort internally, over £5,000 was spent effectively changing my boat from a blue and white one to a red and white one just to make me 'my own' and perhaps in hindsight that was not as needed as I believed at the time.

This was my Sheerline as bought then named Mistral Legend II

IMG_4547.thumb.JPG.4b8b937f464f02e2822b63df91dcea02.JPG

And her she is now named Trixie five years later..

IMG_9722.thumb.JPEG.b4ab0449ba590de6baf65bf8a7ae5c86.JPEG

• Like 3

I've always found the Saphire not the easiest for  stern access with the high deck. 

There is a modern/ later version 99k at NYA which is quite nice and better steps at the stern but it's been for sale a while. 

John 

9 minutes ago, Jbx5 said:

I've always found the Saphire not the easiest for  stern access with the high deck. 

There is a modern/ later version 99k at NYA which is quite nice and better steps at the stern but it's been for sale a while. 

John 

We hired Gainsborough Girl from Summercraft in 2018 and I think they are great boats, with excellent accommodation for four and with the potential for six, but as you say, access is not the best, especially when stern moored.  I’d have one in a heartbeat, but the wife isn’t keen and our arthritic staffy struggled even then.

• Like 1

I love the design too. It's such a clever use of 32 foot and the upper helm position is superb. I hired Gainsboroigh Girl too, Malcom (2010 in my case) amongst others. I agree stern access isn't brilliant although I notice Pacific Spirit at Pacific Cruisers has some very handy-looking stern steps which would compensate well I feel. 

• Like 1

On 26/08/2023 at 21:13, NeilB said:

That's really interesting. The dash panel has Cheesman Rollo and Co engraved across the bottom. I'd assumed it was just the panel supplier. It didn't occur to me that it might be the builder.

@RS2021 Love the brochure image. Mine was surveyed by Dominic Buckley in 2019 and in his report, he's indentified it as a 1988 build, so a few years later. Quite where he got that info from I don't know. The saloon galley arrangement is the same as mine, but the double dinette is different. I actually quite like that benches facing front and rear layout and think it's possibly more space efficient. Mine has a bench facing from starboard to port, with a pullout to convert to a double.

• Like 2