Crankshaft Spline Size On A Nanni 4.190he?

Hi all, I have a Nanni 4.190HE in Karizma and I'm wanting to check the valve clearances as part of the maintenance schedule. 

Does anybody know what type/size of (splined?) socket I need for turning the crank shaft, as I can't find anything specified in the manuals?

Thanks,

36 minutes ago, ExSurveyor said:

Might be worth a phone call to Peachments, they are very helpful.

Hi Mark, hope you are keeping well?

Yes, that was going to be one of my options if nobody on here knew ...... but there are some very clever people on here, so you never know :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Karizma said:

Hi Mark, hope you are keeping well?

Yes, that was going to be one of my options if nobody on here knew ...... but there are some very clever people on here, so you never know :default_biggrin:

I reckon Vaughan will know :default_biggrin:

• Like 1

You're not going to like this but on the Perkins we used to do it with a pair of Stillson pipe-grips.  :default_hiding:

On the Nanni you should be able to get a standard hexagon socket on the nut for the alternator belt pulley. 

While you are at it, once you have the rocker box cover off, run the engine for a moment and check there are no oil leaks on the O ring seals of the rocker shaft bearings.  The 4190 has a habit of seal failure on the No 2 cylinder rockers, which happens to be right alongside the crank-case breather pipe, so a spray of oil goes down into the air cleaner and then drips in the bilge. It took us a while to find out what the problem was, the first time!

Be careful when replacing the rocker cover, that you get the gasket well seated into its groove in the cover, or it will leak.  A bit of jointing compound such as Hylomar is a good idea to seat it into the rocker cover, but not on the cylinder head face.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vaughan said:

A bit of jointing compound such as Hylomar is a good idea

But don't substitute hylomar for any setting sealant (RTV/Silicon) as it can cause the death of an engine, I've seen many an oilway blocked by an errant string of silicon gunge where it has been used by an idiot.(Not accusing you of being an idiot BTW just the ones that squirt silicon everywhere in abundance)

The o ring hint is a bit of top class experience!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vaughan said:

On the Nanni you should be able to get a standard hexagon socket on the nut for the alternator belt pulley. 

Now why didn't I think of doing that !!!! thanks for the tip :default_beerchug:

While you are at it, once you have the rocker box cover off, run the engine for a moment and check there are no oil leaks on the O ring seals of the rocker shaft bearings.  The 4190 has a habit of seal failure on the No 2 cylinder rockers, which happens to be right alongside the crank-case breather pipe, so a spray of oil goes down into the air cleaner and then drips in the bilge. It took us a while to find out what the problem was, the first time!

Thanks again - I have a relative clean bilge, with no 'dirty' oil leaks, so should be good, but will check.

Side note: I do have a very small oil leak coming from the gear box - PRM160D (I'm assuming it's the gearbox as its clean oil), which following a bit of detective work last weekend I think its coming from the valve block gasket, or the o ring on the lever, but its such a small a leak that more work is to be done there!!!!

Be careful when replacing the rocker cover, that you get the gasket well seated into its groove in the cover, or it will leak.  A bit of jointing compound such as Hylomar is a good idea to seat it into the rocker cover, but not on the cylinder head face.

I've never had the rocker cover off, so another great tip, based on hours of experience I'm sure - thanks.

1 hour ago, Smoggy said:

But don't substitute hylomar for any setting sealant (RTV/Silicon) as it can cause the death of an engine, I've seen many an oilway blocked by an errant string of silicon gunge where it has been used by an idiot.(Not accusing you of being an idiot BTW just the ones that squirt silicon everywhere in abundance)

:default_biggrin:, you'll never now know if i'd have been tempted to delve into my box of 'part used' sealants and thought ....... this will do it  - thanks for the warning. :default_beerchug: