Fire Extinguishers - Service Or Replace

Like many boat owners, we have a number of fire extinguishers aboard, all of which are getting on for 10 years old, none of which have ever been used and all of which appear to be in good condition, with the indicator needles still centred in the green segment of the pressure gauge. The easiest option would be to dispose of the lot and replace with new. However,for reasons of sustainability, this approach jars with me.

Is there anywhere in the Broads area where I could take these and have them serviced at a reasonable cost?

• Like 1

With powder extinguishers that are in the green just turn upside down and shake well and put them back in place, should be done regularly anyway as the powder compacts, especially with a diesel engine gently vibrating for long periods.

As long as they don't have an expiry date on them they are still good for the job and for bss.

Servicing will cost more than replacing.

If you are going to ditch any have all crew discharge one into a wheelie bin so you know what to expect if you need to do it in anger, the powder will also stop the bin smelling.:default_biggrin:

• Like 6

Ace Fire in Norwich, they have done quite a few for me. I always opt for servicing rather than replacing - the older units are better built and hold more. Incidentally, I have a number of ex boat expired extinguishers screwed to the walls in the workshop. When we needed to use them in anger they worked perfectly. 

• Like 3