Tachometer Problems

Has anyone had any experience with tacho problems on a Bounty 30 with a 1500 BMC engine? The tacho is electric and I have replaced it because I thought it was faulty as it occasionally stuck. However the replacement is still not working , can anyone tell me where the sender unit is located or where the fuses might be if it is indeed fused.

Although the attachment says viewed 13 times I cannot actually open the attachment and the old eyes are going, along with everything else. Can I open it or whatever they call it to view?

M - Brian's other half.

I right clicked and "saved as". But when I then magnified it I couldn't read it (it came out too distorted). Try this link:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=diesel ... 19&bih=572

And then click on the pic the same as above... it's then very clear.

Hi Hylander

I've shifted this topic in the Technical Questions & Answers area of the forum, as the Site Technical area is meant for questions specifically related to the forum itself. I've left a shadow in place, so you can still find your topic :wave

Hockham Admiral I have found the site and printed off your diagram for Brian. I did try to print the others as well but you only get half of a diagram and that is useless. It is probably done so you dont go printing them out for some reason. We (the Royal We) will keep plugging away until we get it working. The annoying part is having paid out for a new one but there again we always have a spare with the old one.

M

Thank you all very much for your assistance in this matter and having taken some of the advice, I have today traced the wiring from the Tachometer back to the engine compartment and have found the Sender for the Tacho does indeed come from the rear of the engine via what I suspect to be the camshaft. The two wires are on a unit which is protruding from the engine via an enclosed shaft, rather like a distributor drive on a car. There is no power output from the terminals and I have continuity on both on the yellow and blue leads which go to the Tacho head. I was reluctant to remove the unit from the engine as I am not sure what it entails. I would rather have an understanding of what is inside before I pull it apart. Is there anyone out there that can give me some advice or indeed tell me where I might purchase a new unit. I have still to ascertain whether the Sender is faulty or whether the drive from the Camshaft to the Sensor is faulty.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Brian

hi,

that unit is a little dynamo there will be no voltage if it s not turning? ,see if there,s a makers name on the original tacho head,(say vdo) then contact the maker for availability? if you have an alternator fitted why not convert and use the alternator for the tacho?

hi,

that unit is a little dynamo there will be no voltage if it s not turning? ,see if there,s a makers name on the original tacho head,(say vdo) then contact the maker for availability? if you have an alternator fitted why not convert and use the alternator for the tacho?

Tango Whisky etc :naughty: