Womack Mooring

ferryman

Dear members fantastic weather at the moment unfortunately cant get to the broads at the mo.!Hoping to get down later in year .My wife and i love Womack as an overnight mooring but so many times we have visited and its been full !Where on the thurne can i moor and take a short walk  1 mile would be tops into Ludham ,Regards Ken

If you moor just south (say 50/100 yards) of Womack water on the Thurne, with rhond anchors, and climb up over the bank (there are a couple of places where there's a path) there's a dirt track behind the bank which if you follow it for a couple of hundred yards becomes a small tarmac road and eventually emerges into Ludham on the bend 50 yards from the pub.  I've not measured it, but I've been down there in a car, and less than a mile seems about right.  It's the track the anglers take to get down to the river to fish that section.

• Like 1

Dear members fantastic weather at the moment unfortunately cant get to the broads at the mo.!Hoping to get down later in year .My wife and i love Womack as an overnight mooring but so many times we have visited and its been full !Where on the thurne can i moor and take a short walk  1 mile would be tops into Ludham ,Regards Ken

Hello Ken,

Like yourself we love mooring at the Womack Staithe and as you say it is a popular location. We will drop down the mud weight on the wider section opposite the public moorings and wait to see if a space becomes free around the time the mooring fee is collected, a great spot but some people will not pay a few pounds for the upkeep of this staithe.

If you have a tender then you can overnight on a mud weight there is space for two or three boats at least, alternatively  you may find space on the back of the islands.

If no space is available at all we head back down the river to see if we can get into the 24hour moorings, if there is any space then there is a path to the lane that is the access for the boat yards.

Regards

Alan

Hello John,

Over the last few years the tender has been left at the marina and over the years and last year we decided to get rid of it.

It was always a pain to be honest it was stood on the bathing platform and of course covered the escape hatch, not ideal so most owners left it behind rather than using it. When my children were young they took the small tender on the river, but for me I would have been lucky to fit in it.

Southern Crusader has davits fitted on their boat for a tender. 

Regards

Alan

Womack is also a favourite spot of ours, although being caravanners we used to use the small caravan club certified location just at the back of the staithe. It gave us a lovely view across the water, and sometimes we spotted an Otter at play on the far shore, or occasionally a Muntjack deer would comedown to take a drink at the waters edge.

The best time to find a vacant mooring is as John says, around 11am in the morning, when some crews are preparing to move on for the day, although during school term time when the rivers are generally quieter, there are often free spaces over night, especially during early and late season.

Julz

Thanks Alan, I have been around reading the forum via Wi-fi Hotspots, but I had a few problems logging in to my account, which Jonzo has now kindly sorted out for me now that im back home.

Julz

For any caravanners out there who are considering using the Womack CL, its a lovely little site, but beware if you have any low slung gear, motormover, sparewheel carrier ect under your van or you tow a larger unit, because the gradient of the entrance gate on leaving can cause the caravan to 'ground' and scrape at the lowest point undernieth.

We did find out the hard way with our last caravan, and on changing it for one a bit larger, we unfortunately had to stop using the Womack Staithe CL due to the reasons mentioned above.

Julz