Any clues on this boat please?

Lindy

I can see the similarity with the Norman 23 with the quite rare windowless step to the front of the cabin from the foredeck.

I don't think it is though.  This photo shows the mystery boat and the Norman 23 from the same angle, and that part of the deck moulding is quite different, shorter and parallel to the main cabin side, unlike the Norman.

It could of course be a complete superstructure/deck moulding replacement, but then it could be almost any 23ft grp hull.

The sheer above the gunwale on the foredeck of the Norman is missing on the mystery boat too.

Yes, it's very reminiscent of the stepped cabin on the Norman 23, but there are too many detail difference in the rest of the deck moulding to have been just a raising of the cabin top.

post-195-0-57628100-1379956831_thumb.jpg

I can see the similarity with the Norman 23 with the quite rare windowless step to the front of the cabin from the foredeck.

I don't think it is though.  This photo shows the mystery boat and the Norman 23 from the same angle, and that part of the deck moulding is quite different, shorter and parallel to the main cabin side, unlike the Norman.

It could of course be a complete superstructure/deck moulding replacement, but then it could be almost any 23ft grp hull.

The sheer above the gunwale on the foredeck of the Norman is missing on the mystery boat too.

Yes, it's very reminiscent of the stepped cabin on the Norman 23, but there are too many detail difference in the rest of the deck moulding to have been just a raising of the cabin top.

I see your point, however it is not that difficult if you know how to use GRP, to make up some flat bits of GRP sheet cut to shape and bond them in, if you look at the front of the 'mystery' boat it is very much flat panels and angles, its not flowing curves and lines like (with the exception of some ugly boats, im not saying which as i may offend people!) most builders would put in when plug making.

I hear what you're saying Mark,

..but the point I'm trying to make is that from the photo, the "raised" cabin and stepped foredeck moulding looks all new, rather than an original Norman 23's foredeck hump being built up. There's none of its original panel shapes or angles left.

I hear what you're saying Mark,

..but the point I'm trying to make is that from the photo, the "raised" cabin and stepped foredeck moulding looks all new, rather than an original Norman 23's foredeck hump being built up. There's none of its original panel shapes or angles left.

Agreed it could be anything, its a home made creation but what it started out as from that pic alone is very difficult to say. I would like to look the boat over to see if it was built by someone with know how or a abomination by a dodgy DIY Dan (not Horner!!) photos can make things look much better than they are. 

To my eyes, the hull looks like a Dawncraft (not the ones from Wroxham, the ones built in the Midlands, mostly for customers on the canals).

I can't place the exact model, as the windows don't correspond to the usual layout, but as they're normally cut out of a completed moulding it's possible that the original customer specified a different layout with the circular window aft. It's also possible that it was originally sold as a bare moulding for completion by somebody else.

Do you happen to know the beam? IIRC, most if not all Dawncraft were 6'10" beam so they'd fit on the narrow canals (not that that's particularly uncommon for small GRP cruisers of that vintage).

You are considering the wrong mark of the Norman 23 Strow! The one its a chop job of is like the Atlanta with the slight "V" to the raised area forward of the main cabin shape.

I said I've seen this boat before. I do know the odd bit about Normans and there was information given about it on my website forum  at some stage. I'm sure I have other photos of her somewhere but can't find them at this time of night!

Quite a lot of clever mods were carried out on Normans!

mikesmicrolyn3.jpg

Trevor

You are considering the wrong mark of the Norman 23 Strow! The one its a chop job of is like the Atlanta with the slight "V" to the raised area forward of the main cabin shape.

I said I've seen this boat before. I do know the odd bit about Normans and there was information given about it on my website forum  at some stage. I'm sure I have other photos of her somewhere but can't find them at this time of night!

Well there's no denying that you know a lot more about Normans than I ever will Trevor !   :unsure:

I had indeed wrongly assumed that the 23 I was thinking of was the only one they made with the stepped forecabin arrangement.