Outlook won't receive

I've recently been changed over (by BT) from Yahoo-BT to BT Mail.

I use Outlook 2003 and I had to change my settings fom POP to IMAP/SMTP.

Now Outlook will only send mail but not receive it. As the receive IMAP details are then copied to "send" I can't have made a mistake in them, otherwise I couldn't send, could I?

The server port numbers I've entered are IMAP 993 and SMTP 465.

I've spent hours on Google and BT Help but to no avail............ can someone please help!   :bow :bow :bow

Morning John... just checked my settings and they are outgoing imap 993 and ssl. .. and incoming snap 465 and ssl.

I'm guessing same settings as yourself.

This account set up is same for all my email and mail box accounts.

I've recently been changed over (by BT) from Yahoo-BT to BT Mail.

I use Outlook 2003 and I had to change my settings fom POP to IMAP/SMTP.......

I've recently transfered my BT/Yahoo accounts to the new BT Mail too.

I prefer to use POP3 for receiving, and they can still be set up that way with Outlook.

For some strange reason the default "simple" account setup doesn't offer the option of POP3, so you have to click on advanced setup instead.

I then use:

Account Type: POP3

Incoming mail server:  mail.btinternet.com

Outgoing mail server (SMTP): mail.btinternet.com

Don't forget that IMAP is a much more sophisticated solution than POP3 - If your computer dies then you don't lose your email audit trail with IMAP. That's a slight oversimplification, but recovering emails off a dead computer is a pain.

I'm a bit of a dinosaur I suppose, but I prefer to keep my records much more within my own control.

I've been running Outlook for 10 years now, and store the majority of my sent and received emails in a very carefully structured series of folders within it.

I archive most items after a year but still keep them in archive.pst

The data files outlook.pst and archive.pst are backed up every month, to another drive and a USB stick.

It's a system I got used to before I retired, and has never let me down, always being able to retrieve any correspondence ever sent or received.

I did indeed have a disc failure once, but only lost a few days worth since the previous backup.

You're quite right to highlight the point though, it's worrying how many people are totally unprepared for the day that their PC doesn't switch on...

I've recently transfered my BT/Yahoo accounts to the new BT Mail too.

I prefer to use POP3 for receiving, and they can still be set up that way with Outlook.

For some strange reason the default "simple" account setup doesn't offer the option of POP3, so you have to click on advanced setup instead.

I then use:

Account Type: POP3

Incoming mail server:  mail.btinternet.com

Outgoing mail server (SMTP): mail.btinternet.com

Many thanks you all.

I've set up my account as above and it now receives....... but won't send!

Outgoing Server SMTP 465

"The operation timed out waiting for the server" comes up after a minute or so.

Many thanks you all.

I've set up my account as above and it now receives....... but won't send!

Outgoing Server SMTP 465

"The operation timed out waiting for the server" comes up after a minute or so.

Sorry, I missed out another quirk of BT !

You also need to tick the box "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication"

and then enter into it your primary BT email login name and password.

Sorry, I missed out another quirk of BT !

You also need to tick the box "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication"

and then enter into it your primary BT email login name and password.

Yep, I've done that but it now says immediately "send/receive complete" but the message hasn't been sent.

Sorry John, that's beaten me.

I have to monitor about 15 different email addresses on various domains as well as BTinternet.com and they all work with those settings in Outlook 2007 (and I doubt if your Outlook 2003 would be different for the account settings).

I recently switched from Talktalk back to BT, and for each email account I just changed the send and receive servers and ticked the outgoing SMTP server authentication box.

It looks as though you'll have to resort to customer services !

I use Google-mail or G-mail I think it's called. I think I rather prefer that to Outlook, which to me just seems a complex middleman.

I used to be on ntlworld.com but discovered the difficulties of using your internet provider as your mail handler too.

I'm sure I've asked this before, but what is the advantage of "Outlook" over "G-mail" ?

..... what is the advantage of "Outlook" over "G-mail" ?

Outlook is email client software,

and Gmail is an independent email service provider.

Email can be received, composed and sent either locally on the PC or remotely, via a mail website page.

The best way to understand it is by a simple analogy.

Think of Outlook as you letter box at home, and think of web based mail services like gmail as having a box at the local post office.

With Outlook software, all of your email comes to you home and is stored on your PC hard drive.

With Web based mail, it stays in storage on the Internet and the web mail page let's you view it online, remotely.

The advantage of webmail is that you can access your emails, (even the ones already downloaded), via any PC at home, or your phone, or from work.

With locally stored mail such as Outlook, once it's downloaded into your inbox, it's only visible on that one PC.

Just to complicate matters, Gmail is primarily an email identity, so it can be used via Gmail web mail or Outlook !  :)

I prefer to use Outlook, because I store everything I've sent or received, so space is not restricted and it's faster, (for us poor non-fibre country dwellers anyway).

Yes indeed.

We used to have that framed quotation on the wall in one of the programming offices where I worked for a number of years:

"Confidence is the feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation."

No-one knew the source, but it was so appropriate to that particular job....   :)