The Pound Shop is your friend! VARNISH

Timbo

I conducted some tests on various varnishes from a number of sources.

I had an old mahogany dining chair loafing around the garden. I sanded up sections of the dismantled chair and then applied four coats of varnish from four sources.

The varnish used was Ravalak, Wilco's own Brand Yacht Varnish one Gloss one Satin and Screwfix own brand yacht varnish.

Each section of wood was given a first coat thinned with white spirit, followed by a second coat of pure varnish. This coat was 'knocked back' lightly with 320 grit sandpaper as was each successive coat until the last. Each varnished piece of timber has been left in the garden for two years.

The result after two years

Ravalak...varnish is peeling, signs of weathering and sun bleaching.

Screwfix...varnish is intact but signs of sunbleaching.

Wilco Gloss...looking good slight bleaching

Wilco Satin...almost perfect.

The price I paid

Ravalak £17 for 500ml

Screwfix £8.99 for 500 ml

Wilco £2.99 for 250 ml

I'm afraid you can only take my word for it as I had laid out the various sections for photographing this morning, went in to fetch my camera and make a quick coffee...and in the meantime our local Gypo had turned up in his van and 'half inched' the timber.

But I can say that I will be using Wilco Satin Yacht Varnish on the sections of Royal Tudor I have brought home to complete over winter and on the rest of Royal Tudor next spring.

• Like 3

Too True Iain, but then I reckon Wilco must read the forum as when I went down to pick up another tin of their yacht varnish this morning they had put the price up! Small tins were around £5 and a large 500ml tin was £9.98.

Just as a matter of interest,and I don't recommend it for outside use. Wilco also do a water based varnish in both satin, and gloss. It dries in about an hour, and dries as hard as nails. I am rather sold on it. I have now used it on many projects with excellent results.

Word of warning it has the colour of milk when you apply it, but dries perfectly clear.

I can't recall the price off hand but its less expensive than their solvent based varnish.

Maurice

Just as a matter of interest,and I don't recommend it for outside use. Wilco also do a water based varnish in both satin, and gloss. It dries in about an hour, and dries as hard as nails. I am rather sold on it. I have now used it on many projects with excellent results.

Word of warning it has the colour of milk when you apply it, but dries perfectly clear.

I can't recall the price off hand but its less expensive than their solvent based varnish.

Maurice

I've used this around the house and it is great stuff

David

• Like 1