Coming Soon...A Bit of History

Timbo

Since childhood I have been fascinated with Broadland history both ancient and modern...but for around two years now I've been researching a little more in depth. After all it was my early introduction and subsequent fascination with Burgh Castle, St Benets and Ranworth Church that started my study and career in archaeology and history, so it was about time I returned to my childhood preoccupation. One of my pet hates is museums and public institutions presenting outdated or just plain 'wrong' information to the public. I sometimes feel that if I see just one more information board incorrectly telling us that 'in Roman times the Broads was one big estuary because water levels were so much higher than today' I'm liable to explode. What really irks me is when the outdated information is trotted out in official reports and paraded as current fact.

I'm often criticised by family that, although I might be physically somewhere else, my head is always on the Norfolk Broads. But while researching the history of the Broads I kept bumping into historical figures and events associated with my immediate vicinity. So as I started to pull together my own history of the Broads I needed a place to start, so what better place to start than from home. So without further ado...uploaded to Youtube near you...Christmas 2014 (all being well) comes the first instalment of The Adventures of Royal Tudor :The Curse of Forkbeard.

forkbeard_zpsf21fe43d.jpg

MM, we seriously need to get together over a few/several/many/gallons of fine beer and unblock that writers block of yours! For those not in the know, I was very privileged to get a glimpse of MM's manuscript which I have to say was some of the best laugh out loud bits of writing I've read in a long while. Sort of Tom Sharpe meets Tom Holt meets Terry Gilliam meets Terry Pratchett...only better!

• Like 1