Low tide

JennyMorgan

A very, very low tide on Oulton Broad this morning. Last night's high tide was pretty normal at about 7.30. That being the case I would have expected this morning's high tided to be about 8.00, only it wasn't! Indeed the tide was lower than a normal low tide. Moral of the story, don't take a tide-table as guaranteed, amazing the difference a bit of wind can make. Probably be able to get a three decker bling boat through Potter!!

"A bit of wind" Peter ?

The 65mph + Southerly gusts last night make a big difference at the bottom end of the North Sea. :)

The real time gauge at Lowestoft shows it running nearly a metre below predicted.

It didn't make it particularly low at Potter though, too far up river,  the gauge at Repps is showing average.

http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/river-and-sea-levels/riverstation.aspx?StationId=6217&RegionId=1&AreaId=2&CatchmentId=5

post-195-0-02596500-1421317760_thumb.jpg

We have had this gales rubbish for over a week now. Its really wild just now here not nice at all !!! JM three deckers through PHB stop dreaming sir, NAE Chance! :norty: 

cheers Iain.

Might have headroom but ran aground instead!

The low tide at Oulton Broad was at least a meter below usual low water springs. Helpful though, I was able to retrieve a shackle spanner that I dropped over the side two years ago. Tide turned almost to the minute as predicted.

Went under Potter Heigham Bridge today at about 9.30 (high tide was supposedly at 8.57).  Gauge was reading 5'9", and that's (allegedly) exactly my air draft - throttled up and blasted through, no worries.  Came back downstream at about 2.30, as usual the gauge above the bridge reads lower than the one below, so even though tide should have ebbed, still read 5'9".

Lovely and peaceful up on Hickling by the way - only saw two small fishing boats all day.

• Like 1