Bonzo dog spag bog, (using corned beef).

Bonzo

Still on the theme of corned beef, here is another delicious recipe using non perishable boat supplies.

Should feed two so multiply if for more people.

Fry a finely chopped medium onion until translucent in olive oil and add a clove of garlic if you like garlic.

Add a medium sized can of corned beef and stir until broken up.

Add one and a half chicken OXO cubes

Add a can of chopped tomatoes and half a teaspoon full of oregano, seasoning to taste not forgetting that the corned beef is a bit salty. and so is the OXO

Simmer for ten minutes and thicken with tomato puree.

You can add this sauce to any kind of pasta that you like, not just spaghetti.

If you want to really go to town and you are serving more people you can add a can of ratatouille for a chunky sauce.

Enjoy! 

• Like 4

YUK!!  go to pub and  have a meal, boat don,t stink of garlic for 6 weeks , better have a takeaway ,,,,,corned beef went out in the war,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,unless you are on  a waffi, then they boil cabbage on board and carrotts , and a pie, then go to pub nackered  for a few pints that some one said they should drink, then say ,,,,yes i enjoyed that,sorry !!

Well, DF it just goes to prove you can't please 'em all. Also, apologies to all those on diets (please don't report me to the Weightwatchers Police).

Yes, corned beef was used extensively during the war and after the war too. I still remember rationing and my mother always had some in the cupboard as I do nowadays. I love the stuff.

Anybody for a corned beef and Branston pickle doorstep sandwich?  :grin:

• Like 2

Bully Beef is used a lot in the Royal Navy even to this day. When your in a Force 10 gale for about a week, up in the Arctic. Corned Dog Sarnies is the menu, as the galley is out of action. Had my fair share during my time in the Arctic during the sixties, protecting the British Trawlers around Iceland, during the Cod War. We even went as far as Newfoundland & Nova Scotia, where most of the Cod was fished in those days. Trawlers from Aberdeen, Fleetwood, Hull & Grimsby ploughed the seas in great numbers. Hardly anything left now of our great fishing fleets and the Royal Navy Fishery Protection Squadron, comprising of six Blackwood Class Frigates, based in Rosyth, were all scrapped by the early 1980s. I spent almost two years with the FPS in 1961 - 62 ( HMS Palliser) and again in 1965 - 66 (HMS Malcolm) Then it was off to Singapore in warmer climates for two years aboard a converted aircraft carrier HMS Triumph, which became a heavy repair ship, for the Far East Submarine Fleet.

and we still ate the occasional corned beef sandwiches. 

• Like 4