1954 Blakes catalogue on ebay

Guest Jhb Geoff

Did anyone else see a Blakes catalogue on ebay recently which went for GBP 28.99! Time to turn out the attic and old boxes of stuff.

Regards

Geoff Pethick

wish I had seen it Geoff, I have seen Blakes from the 80s go for that much, I have never seen a 50s catalogue, it would have most of my Dads Oulton Broad fleet in it, I would love to see one. cheersbar

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, If there are any Blakes Catalogues out there I'd be very interested in buying them, especially really old ones! We are restoring a Victorian counter stern Broads Sailing Cruiser, we don't know her name yet and were looking foor clues! Any help with old books of the broads would be much appreciated, they just might uncover something that could help us find out what our yacht is called.

Hi Andy and welcome!

Keep an eye out on Ebay as copies of 1930s Blakes brochures do crop up quite often ... prices are usually anywhere between £50 and £80 on average though! :o Earlier ones do seem to be extremely rare ... I think an early 20s one sold for around £185 on there if memory serves correctly. It's unfortunately an expensive game!!

Alternatively, if you can get to the main county library at the Forum in Norwich, then they have a fairly extensive collection of Blakes brochures .... you can view them onsite only as they are stored in the strongroom on the top floor (Millenium Heritage Centre or something like that!).

I have sent you a PM regarding identifying your boat.

Carol

• 1 year later...

I'm looking for either a 1951 catalogue, or any from the 1950's that have a picture of my boat in.

She was built in 1951 as "Clipper VI" and available through Chumley and Hawke from Horning. Can anyone help me please?

cheers

J

I'm looking for either a 1951 catalogue, or any from the 1950's that have a picture of my boat in.

She was built in 1951 as "Clipper VI" and available through Chumley and Hawke from Horning. Can anyone help me please?

cheers

J

Hi is your boat in this picture?? can,t see name though :?

http://www.broadlandmemories.co.uk/page137.html

Hi

The entry for the Clipper class from Blakes 1952 edition only lists numbers 1-5 (see below) .... the next brochure I have for refference is 1957 which does list number 6 but it doesn't really help in pinpointing exactly when your boat first appeared in the fleet. Sorry that I can't be of more help!

I've had a look at the original photo of Chumley & Hawkes yard taken by Bob Righton in the 1950s which is at the top of the page on Broadland Memories which diesel falcon posted a link to but it is, unfortunately, not of high enough resolution to be able to make out a name.

post-500-136713881259_thumb.jpg

Carol

Hi All,

Wow. Thanks for that!

The photograph at the top of pg12 shows two yachts, the one with its stern to the camera I believe is a Leander, or a Ranger. The one behind has four small portholes, and is almost certainly either Privateer, or Wenonah.

The only reason I ask this, is that recently I found a copy of a book called "Cruise of the Clipper" by Morgan Derham, and the yacht featured in this 1950s crime mystery is indeed "Clipper VI"! So my little boat is famous!