The broads pound

Wonderwall

Back in the day the average season for a hire boat was 20 to 22 weeks. I think Hoseasons used to guarantee 18 weeks to yards within their 'fleet'. At 25 weeks (and thats a hard season for us boats, believe me) our owners would start to celebrate.

Is the season now really so short? The year seems to have just as many days in it as in the old days....

The problem now JA is...Hoseasons and Blakes are NOT what/who they were/are....JM I am sure will confirm that! So yes, too them it is a short season...I think? :shocked

cheers Iain.

Back in the day the average season for a hire boat was 20 to 22 weeks. I think Hoseasons used to guarantee 18 weeks to yards within their 'fleet'. At 25 weeks (and thats a hard season for us boats, believe me) our owners would start to celebrate.

Is the season now really so short? The year seems to have just as many days in it as in the old days....

The holiday season, the peak season that is, has I think reduced if for no other reason than the way school holidays are administered these days. I drive past a very big yard pretty much every day and it is noticeable that outside the peak bits (half terms and the like) a lot of the fleet appears to remain idle. Either way I think from a Broads business point of view 22 weeks is not 52 weeks and certainly pubs and the like need winter trade to keep them going. As you say even back in the day Hoseasons would only guarantee 18 weeks.

The holiday season, the peak season that is, has I think reduced if for no other reason than the way school holidays are administered these days. I drive past a very big yard pretty much every day and it is noticeable that outside the peak bits (half terms and the like) a lot of the fleet appears to remain idle. Either way I think from a Broads business point of view 22 weeks is not 52 weeks and certainly pubs and the like need winter trade to keep them going. As you say even back in the day Hoseasons would only guarantee 18 weeks.

Ah yes but at 18 weeks it still meant out and about for Easter and then from Whitsun week (the end of May for you youngsters) till almost the end of September...

Yes, I am sure the school holiday policy has an effect on it all but maybe we should be promoting 'kid free' Broads holidays and using it as a positive?

I don't have any numbers JA but I do live here and the Broads appear pretty busy from now on in and at the end of the day the rivers can only take so much. Too much traffic will do as much to deter holiday makers as anything else. Mooring, up North, is a problem when things get busy. Also the boats in peak season are expensive - you can get a package deal abroad for the same or not a lot more. And the weather will be far more reliable. I would not be at all surprised if the cost of the hire is not helping to keep punters out of the pubs and eateries - the books are balanced by shopping in Tesco and eating aboard.

Whichever way we look at it - 18 weeks trade is not going to keep a riverside business going. That is what helps drive up hire fees; the yards have to fund development and survive the winter.

I hear what you say re kid free boating but I imagine there is only a certain proportion of the boating population that can take advantage of it. Also how many want to boat in the bad weather that will probably accompany early and late season excursions. There are a few hardy soles no doubt but are there enough? Do not some of the yards already offer out of peak discounts to try and extend the season?

I wouldn't dream of going to the broads without the girls and to be honest, I don't tink they would let me. We are tied to the school holidays here in Riyadh for the spring and autumn cruises, so we have to go when we can and pray for some decent weather.

This year is 26th Sept. to 3rd Oct. and next spring is 2nd to 9th April. Let's hope for the best.

• Like 4

You are so right Eric. There is nothing better or more worthwhile than a boat full of kids throughly enjoying themselves out on an adventure.

It just seemed to me that perhaps we could all take a more positive approach to boating on our favourite waterway. Its in our own interests for the system to be as successful as it possibly can be. Moorings 'up north' can be hard to find with just 800 hire boats on the system whereas there were 2500 boats out every week back in the day and I guess 1700 of them were not mud plugging every night?

You are so right Eric. There is nothing better or more worthwhile than a boat full of kids throughly enjoying themselves out on an adventure.

It just seemed to me that perhaps we could all take a more positive approach to boating on our favourite waterway. Its in our own interests for the system to be as successful as it possibly can be. Moorings 'up north' can be hard to find with just 800 hire boats on the system whereas there were 2500 boats out every week back in the day and I guess 1700 of them were not mud plugging every night?

Oops pressed the wrong button too soon...

As I was saying, lack of moorings is down to lots of factors but ultimately its the income that they produce that decides their existance. Poorly run or poorly supported business will soon make the moorings obsolete and desirable for housing. Once they are lost we will not get them back again and thats why 'up north' is hard to moor in.

We certainly cant ever get back to what we had but maybe we can work at keeping whats left?

Don't know how many hire boats there are out I know Richos have been growing their fleet and their boating spread across the Broads. The number of the boats registered on the Broads is frightening though when you compare registered boats (private and hire) to navigable miles. The Broads are a finite resource and if there were 2500 hire craft back in the day that equates to 20 boats per mile based on 125 navigable miles. That is a lot of mooring and it is a lot more when you 1) bring the private boats into the equation, 2) remember that most boats remain north and 3) take account of the fact than not all boats can get under Potter  and/or Wroxham bridges.

Ok their may only be 800 hire boats now but there are loads of private so the resource is potentially under pressure, at peak times especially. I understand from historic data that there are around 13000 boats registered on the Broads (and growing), that is over 100 per mile. That is a huge density. I know they do not all come out at once but even 50% out is significant. And again I bet most are North.

The problem is the broads are not just about boating, they are fragile and a balance has to be struck. One thing that does worry me - if businesses struggle with over 13000 boats on the rivers how will they ever succeed? But then a pub might have a mooring for a few boats but that in itself does not go anywhere near guaranteeing profitability or a steady stream of customers.

I don't know why you all seem to think the broads is such a desolate place when the hire boats are tucked up for the winter.

Have you ever been to the Hotel Wroxham, The Bridge at Acle, The Wherry on a Sunday afternoon in November.......I have and they are rarely scratching around for customers! The Wherry especially as I live down the road, it's a popular place with locals to. The broads has its own population you know!

In the mad early 80's I believe the hire craft numbers were approx 1500 and dropped recently to approx 750. Perhaps CliveR can confirm for us.

Personally when we came down for our fortnight holiday first fortnight in July, starting from either Summercraft or Alan Johnson's, we did the North first week, moorings were that bit easier to find, but of course, then there were a lot more hire yards to moor up at.

Being as there are now more private craft than hire, IF all the private craft were out at the same time as hirers, (yes anno very hypothetical) but IF it happened, bedlam may then ensue IMO. in certain spots.

I would love to see more hire yards back on the Broads, but as Clive has said on here, its not a massive profit running scheme.

Looks like for now the Broads Pound idea Neil, will remain on a monopoly board, or similar.

cheers Iain

I don't know why you all seem to think the broads is such a desolate place when the hire boats are tucked up for the winter.

Have you ever been to the Hotel Wroxham, The Bridge at Acle, The Wherry on a Sunday afternoon in November.......I have and they are rarely scratching around for customers! The Wherry especially as I live down the road, it's a popular place with locals to. The broads has its own population you know!

You are probably right but then Acle, Wroxham and the like are big (ish) places. There are smaller villages where the pubs really do struggle, even the Ferry at Horning does not have the easiest of times in the winter months. In fact the last time I was in the Ferry, I got the impression that they had lowered their sights somewhat, especially from the point of view of the food offered.

But you are right, cramming the Broads full of hire boats is not the answer and is not what is wanted. Perhaps it is all down to the fact that tied pubs have to try and deliver the undeliverable to their PubCos and that leads to an expensive establishment. More seen to be being sold off these days (like the Falgate, The Pleasure Boat) and perhaps that will be a turning point.

• Like 1

I remember being able to go into the Ferry on a winters eve to find a roaring fire, the latest quiz show or footy match on the box, a welcoming place to have a few pints, that was as recent as 10 years ago but in that time a lot has changed. Take the pub at the WRC for instance....in my opinion totally and utterly destroyed by having all the character stripped out and posh tables and chairs put in. I often wonder what market that sort of venue is aiming at but that's a whole other subject and we are probably well off topic already!

• Like 1