recycling paint on the broads

jillR

reading another thread about waste disposal cuts on the broads and the problems

of where to get rid of things like paint ...

I was wondering if there are any recycling points for paint ?

I had a quick look on the web and dident see any in the area .........

paint recycling.jpg

the site also had a letter template to send in to ask for a paint recycle facility

http://www.communityrepaint.org.uk/need-paint/#/?address=norwich%20united%20kingdom

[YOUR ADDRESS]
                                                                                                                                [YOUR ADDRESS]

[YOUR ADDRESS]

[YOUR ADDRESS]

[NAME OF WASTE OFFICER/ DEPT. MANAGER]

[Waste and Recycling Department]

[LOCAL AUTHORITY ADDRESS]

[DATE]

Dear [NAME],

Following a recent ‘spring clean’ I found that I had a number of tins of domestic paint many of which were either part or near full.  Hence, as a resident of [BOROUGH/COUNTY] I contacted yourselves/ visited [NAME OF] household waste and recycling centre  to dispose of them and was disappointed to be told/ find that we have no choice but to simply throw this paint away despite it being a perfectly usable condition.

Whilst looking for alternatives I found that in other authorities it is possible to donate this paint for reuse, through Community RePaint schemes (www.communityrepaint.org.uk). As this seems to offer a solution which is better for the environment and according to the Community RePaint website, also offers social and economic benefits I wondered if there are any plans for [LOCAL AUTHORITY] to provide us with access to a Community RePaint scheme?

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your response.

Yours sincerely,

[YOUR SIGNATURE]

[YOUR NAME]

The idiots at NNDC have classified paint as "Hazardous Waste" so you can't just chuck it into the bin or skip.  I understand they have several "amnesty days" each year, when paint can be handed in at their waste disposal centres.  You need to get there early though, because there can be very, very long queues.  If you go by car, you can be sure that their CCTV will capture your vehicle registration and your name will no doubt then be held on a list of "enemies of the state" and may be put forward for "re-education".

cheers

Steve

• Like 1

It's the whole cretinous recycling policy that they need to get to grips with. 

My local centre like most has restrictions on how much I can "recycle" each week. So I have 4 bags of wood to recycle which means I have to do 4x 12m round trips to the recycling centre to get rid of them. That's good for the environment with me burning loads of diesel and they are going to get it in the end. Or I can just put it in the normal rubbish bin each fortnight?

when I asked if they had a paint recycling area the guy I spoke to was as amazed as me they didn't have one. He told me (unofficially) to put some sand or dirt in the tin to thicken it up put it in a bag and put in the normal rubbish bin at home. I am sure plenty of people do it anyway so loads of toxic paint going to landfill. Even if they did have a facility I  sure this would still happen but certainly not to the same extent as now. 

Although isn't most domestic paint nowadays water based so not as bad as it used to be. 

I think they still have oil disposal points there? Why bother with that?

as for marinas I am lucky in that my marina has great rubbish facilities and even has oil and boat crap dump facilities (Alan ranworth breeze might be able to confirm the latter) Mind you we pay enough for our moorings so it's not free. 

In the end the cost of clearing up fly tipping, the damage with people putting toxic waste in their normal bins must outway just providing a facility in the damn place. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Baitrunner said:

It's the whole cretinous recycling policy that they need to get to grips with. 

My local centre like most has restrictions on how much I can "recycle" each week. So I have 4 bags of wood to recycle which means I have to do 4x 12m round trips to the recycling centre to get rid of them. That's good for the environment with me burning loads of diesel and they are going to get it in the end. Or I can just put it in the normal rubbish bin each fortnight?

when I asked if they had a paint recycling area the guy I spoke to was as amazed as me they didn't have one. He told me (unofficially) to put some sand or dirt in the tin to thicken it up put it in a bag and put in the normal rubbish bin at home. I am sure plenty of people do it anyway so loads of toxic paint going to landfill. Even if they did have a facility I  sure this would still happen but certainly not to the same extent as now. 

Although isn't most domestic paint nowadays water based so not as bad as it used to be. 

I think they still have oil disposal points there? Why bother with that?

as for marinas I am lucky in that my marina has great rubbish facilities and even has oil and boat crap dump facilities (Alan ranworth breeze might be able to confirm the latter) Mind you we pay enough for our moorings so it's not free. 

In the end the cost of clearing up fly tipping, the damage with people putting toxic waste in their normal bins must outway just providing a facility in the damn place. 

Hi Mark,

Yes the facilities at the marina are reasonable, maybe they could separate the bottles and have a bin for tins, I agree that introduction of a container for used oil is a bonus for some of the boat owners likewise are area for dumping electrical items etc.

It is a couple of years since I found the information on mooring prices on the Broads (the prices are in our information pages) it made interesting reading then and although our marina is up there with the dearest, there are many now that have similar prices per foot/meter.

Regards

Alan

Right then, perhaps we are structured in a different way up here regarding waste of ALL kinds. We have a very modern, well 10 years old or so civic amenity recycling depot, where I can get rid of everything from paint to oil, paper, wood, stone etc.

It must be built into our council tax, as we do not pay anything extra to use it. We can even buy compost for the garden in the growing season. I may add, this facility is well used by all in town including the building trade with a pass badge that they do pay a levy on.

I am surprised to read that you cannot get rid of old paint tins.

cheersIain