Another Scam

Wildfuzz

If you receive a letter from Korea Development bank of Japan stating you have a similar name to someone who had a lot of unclaimed money and was trying to gain access to your bank details to facilitate the "exchange".
Even though the banking institute referred to in the letter is genuine the letter itself is believed to done by a person who is not genuine as such it is believed to be a scam.
Never respond to these letters and never give out bank details or money.
Report to Actionfraud and or ring Norfolk police on 101.

• Like 5

Scams seem to be all around again right now.  Last year, we received the Nat West one which once again was a genuine letter with all the correct phone numbers, but the email addy was not. One simple call to their security team soon sorted that!

I'm sure Jonzo is aware and it may have been mentioned here elsewhere but Microsofts Tech department has rung us many times over the last week.  It is a scam and all you need to do to get rid of them is ask for their email addy so you can put your IT support company in touch with them....Guess what?  they hang up immediately  

• Like 1

The simple and universal scam advice I give  anyone is it just search Google for a few words in the suspect email.

Like "you have received a tax refund", which quickly shows if it is a scam:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=you+have+received+a+tax+refund&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=AMPVVoKNLuyS6QSnhqHwBQ

I monitor a number of email addresses for various URLs, and I get an average of 10 scams a week.

Banks, Building Societies, even the Inland Revenue, all get regularly "Phished" (imitated), with requests to login or "download this form", with dire threats of account suspension and the like.