HIVE British Gas....

BroadScot

Hi folks,

I had the gas engineer out yesterday checking our combi boiler. I was not happy with the consistency of our c/heating for a while, and this latest cold snap, had me contacting the company.

The lad arrived, checked everything out, and as I suspected, it has always been where the room thermostat was sited.

I had been looking at the latest techo called HIVE, and ended up having him instal it instead of the old time clock / stat system. It aint cheap, but for me and my dodgy legs, makes resetting the heating now a breeze from my recliner, using either my lappy,tablet or mobile phone. I can even reset it if on the Broads! Yes, basically anywhere as long as you have a mobile smart phone and a router.

It did not take long to work out how it all worked, although to be fair the engineer showed me how it all was set up.

So if you are ever thinking of purchasing this gadget, please do ask any questions, I will do my best to answer them.

cheersIain

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BroadScot said:

Hi folks,

I had the gas engineer out yesterday checking our combi boiler. I was not happy with the consistency of our c/heating for a while, and this latest cold snap, had me contacting the company.

The lad arrived, checked everything out, and as I suspected, it has always been where the room thermostat was sited.

I had been looking at the latest techo called HIVE, and ended up having him instal it instead of the old time clock / stat system. It aint cheap, but for me and my dodgy legs, makes resetting the heating now a breeze from my recliner, using either my lappy,tablet or mobile phone. I can even reset it if on the Broads! Yes, basically anywhere as long as you have a mobile smart phone and a router.

It did not take long to work out how it all worked, although to be fair the engineer showed me how it all was set up.

So if you are ever thinking of purchasing this gadget, please do ask any questions, I will do my best to answer them.

cheersIain

Hi Iain,

I am surprised that you didn't borrow his tools and get the job done right:naughty:

Regards

Alan

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hi Iain,

I am surprised that you didn't borrow his tools and get the job done right:naughty:

Regards

Alan

Hi Alan,

Nah, after what I paid for it, it was all his work, and very neat and tidy it was too! Funny enough, he was an Iain, spelt my way, also!

cheersIain

Good to hear it works for you, i like my gadgets but only use I could think for the hive was a single person on shifts or not home same time everynight. Other than that a time clock would suit.

This house I've got now had remote prog stat already so didn't have to put one in, a few tweaks needed when the batteries need changing.

Brit Gas installed smart meters here but they dont talk to anywhere so they can't connect - not very smart.

Hi Siddy,

With arthritic/psoriatic legs I think its going to be very useful for me, and saves me asking SWMBO to go and adjust the stat. You can if you wish, have different times and temperatures for different days, I think. Plus an hour boost feature if you are out.

Like all these modern items, it will be out of date by next week!:naughty: So far, so good, as they say. :party:

cheersIain

They also do a 2 zone temp plus water one now. 

We have our upstairs on a separate valve so we can have them on at different times. 

Upstairs was on an old clunky timer. 

Ww have had the basic system in for a couple of years and upgraded a few weeks ago to have the extra zone on. 

We have had a few glitches with the old and new system needing to be reset. Especially after a power hit which we get a lot of in Norfolk. A pain when you want to tweet the heat when your on your way home!!

it is very handy though for us as we seem to need different times for heat and water each day/week. 

I think the other systems are a bit cheaper, but despite what people say about BG they do have plenty of engineers. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baitrunner said:

but despite what people say about BG they do have plenty of engineers. 

Very true, Mark, when all the privatising came about, I spoke to an old Plumber/ Heating Engineer, and asked his advice who would you go with. he said stick with Scottish Gas, better the devil you know, etc......

cheersIain.

• Like 1

E

33 minutes ago, Jonzo said:

Our previous one had a neat wiring diagram on the lid of the junction box detailing which of the numerous terminals should used for what so it was easy to follow and maintain.

Unfortunately, the previous installer had removed the lid, looked inside and thought to himself "ooh connector block" and done it completely differently.

Gas fitters use to have their own wiring diagram books, they resembled nothing like the original ones. I use to phone one if hit a c/heating problem. It was best to leave it to those guys to sort out the faults, and save time and money.

:naughty:Iain

Iain good thing these day is you can (should be able) to buy any programmer and they have a common base so you just unclip and put the new one inplace. As above having tested and sold programmers H/well are the best and they options for use are better. My mate is a rep for another brand and he used to gives me them to try at my other house for feedback.

Packing my house up last Sept I found some of the old Randall 102/103 mech timeclocks, I thought I'd flogged them all they were bullet proof and ran for years. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Siddy said:

Packing my house up last Sept I found some of the old Randall 102/103 mech timeclocks, I thought I'd flogged them all they were bullet proof and ran for years. 

Hi Siddy, yes indeed they were very reliable but dearer, so up here it was Sangamo clocks that were used for heating etc, they too were reliable, cheaper, but, after a while NOISEY!

cheersIain