Insurance again

Right folks, I need some help, do any of you know an insurance company that dosn't need a survey on a boat over 30 years old, I'm looking at another boat and my present insurers want a full out of the water survey done, because the boat is over 23ft and over 30 years old,, the reason I don't want the survey is because I know the boat, know the owner and know the boat is sound,,

Frank,,,

Hi Frank

You could try Edward William Insurance, who we are with. If you call in to DRL Marine at Womack Staithe, they have an office there, so you could speak to Clive face-to-face if necessary. I would guess, though, that most insurers would exclude any claims that arise due to anything below the waterline if no crane-out survey is done. Unfortunately, you can't really expect an insurance company to take a gamble on something they have no knowledge of.

Most insurers will ask for a survey at 20 years old, some will ask for one at 15 years, some at 10.

With the exception of third party, even that may have conditions for gas and electrical systems causing a fire, I would be surprised if you find anyone to cover it with no survey.

Ian