Bodged Budget Boat Project

brandenjg

So the soudaflex sticks the wood to the hull and prevents rot, shaped to a curve then fibreglassed over. Seems simple enough just have to persuade B.I.L to find some funds to buy it all.

On a slightly different note, Would the soudaflex work for roof battens on my boat? I was planning  on using 2 part epoxy, screw and as a back up I have gorilla glue, mainly because they're all things I have in the garage. I'll be cladding my roof in a few weeks.

I used 'black *hit', Soudaflex, eight years ago as a bedding for two deck cleats, no way on this earth could I shift them during the winter when I was recoating the deck so I left well alone. I've also made a 'sweep'/big oar and so far that has remained intact, the black glue line looking very smart. It's good stuff, in my opinion.

Re Gorilla glue, it likes moisture, to a degree, but I find it messy stuff due to the fact that I have never mastered quite how much it will expand by. Roof battens as on house or on boat? On  boat, if she & the rails are both dry, I'd use the black stuff, it grabs and hold very quickly which epoxy doesn't. 

Depending on the weight of the battens you might need to support them as the B-S cures, battens or garden canes from floor to ceiling. When I put rubbing strakes on my daughter's boat the grab and hold time was short but extra support can do no harm. Make sure that your wear your Marigolds, it's a right pig to get off your hands.

Small update, switch panel in, steering cable fitted and outboard on the back to see how it looks and check steering works. Link arm ordered.

DSC_0272.thumb.JPG.91bc1ce54a992598f1000d4cd96cbb3f.JPGDSC_0275.thumb.JPG.1532df48611e3bc1280c173902ead459.JPG

That's all for a little while until B.I.L gets some wood for a door, some fibreglass and filler and cables to wire up the electrics.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I've posted an update as I've been waiting till some progress had been made. It's been a mad rush to get things finished as B.I.L decided to move house and the new home won't have space for the boat. It's been weeks of packing the house and getting that side of things sorted then the past couple days has been fibreglassing, filling, painting, windscreen, testing outboard, sorting documents  etc etc.

The one bonus for me is that B.I.L has changed his mind about fitting electrics. After a midnight cruise aboard my dandy he's decided he wouldn't cope with night navigation so won't be needing electrics.

There's still work to be done, but for now I have one photo to upload and the next will be on launch day in the next week or two. Branden

DSC_0374.thumb.JPG.f19b405644fc1ab010bd9712e23f6361.JPG

• Like 6

Well the launch went well, she didn't sink. I was on my boat incase B.I.L's had any issues. The engine cut out once while leaving the slipway but restarted easy enough. After a while cruising she was running sweet, no leaks :)

Only problem was the windscreen blew out and broke, we'd forgotten to rivet the top in place so it basically blew straight off.

B.I.L's a happy chappy so I'm sure anyone on the south side will see him out and about.

P.s we made it to the pub and it was finally open.

Branden 

_20170331_211406.thumb.JPG.3479470707e9d90f2b190eda190260d2.JPGDSC_0386.thumb.JPG.d1ba2edcced6ab392582ce2732fae60f.JPG

• Like 7

1 hour ago, fishtone said:

Good luck to your B.I.:L. He did well to see it through. Most project boats finish up on Gum tree after a couple of weeks.

He's still got a few bits to do on the boat so fingers crossed he sticks with it. 

His brother also has a boat project which he'd given up on, but seeing this boat make it on the water has made him think about finishing his project rather than selling.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the mooring yesterday to do a few odd jobs on B.I.L's boat, got as far as climbing onboard then had to run as daughter had been in a crash with grandad. Both are fine but meant we didn't get a chance to do anything on the boat. Was a gorgeous day aswell.  The curse of the boat :facepalm:

Branden

B.I.L's named her WATT. Before his brain tumor he loved fiddling around with anything electrical. These days he's completely deaf in one ear and partially deaf in the other so it's also a play on words. 

If someone asks what he's named the boat he keeps saying WATT WATT and everyone assumes it's because of his hearing rofl

Branden

• Like 5