America's Cup

I would like to say congratulations to Emirates team New Zealand in winning the 2017 America's cup.

They arrived in the Bermuda with a boat that was very different from everyone else and have sailed superbly to win 8-1. I would love to have a go in one and experience sailing at 45 knts, roll on the next one which will be hosted down under.

Doug.

Call me an old duffer! But I prefer 12 metre yachts. Or better still go back to J class.

I still think Endeavour, built for Thomas Sopwith's 1934 (I think) challenge is the most beautiful yacht ever built.

• Like 3

Chris Boardman from How Hill was one of the crew of Endeavour in the 1934 Americas Cup. They came very close that year. Chris also sailed Shamrock, the predecessor of Endeavour.

Endeavour is still afloat and you can charter her if you have the cash.

There are some pictures here (scroll down a bit) and a bit more information. I have got lots more pictures. http://www.ludhamarchive.org.uk/bdmstori.htm

Nigel

Ludham

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisB said:

Call me an old duffer! But I prefer 12 metre yachts. Or better still go back to J class.

I still think Endeavour, built for Thomas Sopwith's 1934 (I think) challenge is the most beautiful yacht ever built.

Many, many years ago I had the great privilege of sailing Evaine K2 down at Cowes. Don't think that I'd have been selected for the America's Cup though! 

At one time you could pay The Sceptre Preservation Society for a sail on our 1958 challenger. She used to feature in Classic Boat and the like now and again but I can't recall reading anything recently. I have a feeling that after spending some time around the Solent she returned to the place of her birth, the West Coast of Scotland. Certainly more affordable than J charter.

• Like 1