Worst Beer On The Broads

troutman62

10 hours ago, VetChugger said:

The best drinks we had that time were in Beccles at the "Loaves and Fishes" but I can't for the life in me recall what 

They did sell then Greene King Abbot Ale. I too remember, just, crossing back over the bridge to Astons after a serious nights Jazz and supping ale in there. Happy days.:party:

cheersIain

Back in the early seventies, when I was invited to parties and actually enjoyed them, we had a party four can of Sainsbury's lagar ....... That can attended more parties than me .............. it never got opened and the recipient used to take it to the next party.

I don't recall if it ever got drunk? I suspect not.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, BroadScot said:

They did sell then Greene King Abbot Ale. I too remember, just, crossing back over the bridge to Astons after a serious nights Jazz and supping ale in there. Happy days.:party:

cheersIain

They did indeed. I used to frequent the Loaves and Fishes too as it was something of an oasis back in the day. Greene King and Adnams as I recall, the Greene King seemed to taste better then somehow.......:naughty:

• Like 1

I can think of one or two current candidates......:naughty:

However for truly terrible beer Brew Ten from Bass took some beating.

I think we are all fairly agreed on the nasty kegs from the seventies. But the key is, which a couple of members have spotted, is much of it is down to how the beer is kept. Bullards and Steward and Patteson didn’t brew bad beer. It suffered from bad cellermanship and low turnover. That’s why Red Barrel took hold so quickly. It wasn’t good beer by any stretch of the imagination but it was consistent and sadly a pint of keg is going to be more preferably to an off pint of real ale. That was the reason keg grew in the late sixties and seventies. Peter mentioned Bullards. I suspect the problem there was not so much the beer as low turnover. Mild was in decline in those days and turnover was slow. Mild is also weaker so doesn’t have a long shelf life which all tended to exacerbate the problem I suspect.  

Fortunately the tide has turned and most pubs now sell real ale and even the keg, the so called craft beers, are a huge improvement on the old style keg products.

To be honest, if you get a bad pint on the Broads (or anywhere else) these days it’s almost certainly down to poor cellar standards and lack of staff training.  Pubs such as the Bridge Inn, Locks and both White Horses (to name but a few) show how it can, and should, be done. Don’t forget to support your Broads pubs and if you do get served a pint which is clearly sub standard don’t be afraid to take it back! A polite but firm request usually yields results in my experience.

cheersbar

• Like 5

On 27/04/2016 at 7:06 AM, ranworthbreeze said:

What's wrong with Lager?:hardhat:

Mind you there were many bad ones back in the day, Marksman. Carling in cans is naff since they changed the brew a few ago and I always regarded Stella as a woman's drink (it used to be somewhat scented).

Becks on draft my preferred brew.

Regards

Alan 

In spite of being an ale man, I agree that some lagers are fine, cold Kronenburg outside the Ferry on a hot day goes down a treat !cheersbar

• Like 1