Worst Beer On The Broads

troutman62

What's the worst beer you've ever had in Norfolk ? For me of a certain age it had to be Norwich Bitter.

This stuff was in a class of its own when it came to vileness.( is that a proper word ? ) But I wonder if any pub down there sells Tetley bitter ? fortunately I've not seen one. A worthy successor to Norwich bitter if there ever was one. yuk

It seems to be popular in Yorkshire for some reason, maybe its cheap..:naughty:

• Like 1

Watneys Red Barrell was pretty grim stuff, The Swan Inn, Horning, sold it in the early 70's. For really awful beer, Merseyside in the 60's took some beating! Threfalls think it was called. My cousins called it something else!:naughty:

cheersIain

• Like 1

2 hours ago, troutman62 said:

But I wonder if any pub down there sells Tetley bitter ? fortunately I've not seen one. A worthy successor to Norwich bitter if there ever was one. yuk

If you go back enough years, when Tetleys was still an independent brewery in Leeds, it was a very fine beer. It was a proper cask conditioned ale and, if well kept, was the equal of any bitter of the day. However the pale imitation produced by Carlsberg under the Tetley brand bears no relationship to what was once a quality product.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Speleologist said:

If you go back enough years, when Tetleys was still an independent brewery in Leeds, it was a very fine beer. It was a proper cask conditioned ale and, if well kept, was the equal of any bitter of the day. However the pale imitation produced by Carlsberg under the Tetley brand bears no relationship to what was once a quality product.

Oh how true. I was always told by the landlords in N Yorks, its two n have pulls to the pint lad or it aint a Tetleys Bitter!

Back in the day we used to refer to Norfolk and Suffolk as "The Great East Anglian Beer Desert" Most brewers had been bought up and Watneys had almost a monopoly. Red Barrel must be the most consistently awful beer I ever tried. Nowadays, with the establishment and growth of so many new breweries, things are much better. Nowadays a bad beer is usually down to bad cellar craft. The worst I have had in recent memory was a pint of St Austell Trelawney, which is usually a fine ale. It was in a pub on the outskirts of Falmouth and at first taste it was clear that a pint of malt vinegar would have tasted better. On complaing that the beer was off the landlady took a taste and said "It's supposed to taste like that." Needless to say we left, and they lost our custom for both beer and food.

1 hour ago, Speleologist said:

Nail on the head there Robin, fully agree. If memory serves did you once venture into the Wellington in my Manor? 

I agree that Watneys Norwich Bitter was the all-time worst beer available in the Broads are. In fact it is hard to think of a worse beer sold anywhere. When we lived in Yorkshire nearly 30 years ago, Tetleys was our local brew. It was made in Leeds at the time and there was nowt wrong wi' it, except that it had a reputation for not travelling well.

I have had a couple of slightly vinegary pints on the Broads recently, mainly served in pubs that had a large number of beers on and not enough footfall to ensure rapid consumption, but even these were preferable to the best of the old Watneys offerings.

cheers

Steve

• Like 1

Steve, don't know about it not travelling well.

My local in Manchester about 35 years ago was a Tetleys house. The beer was delivered from their brewery in Warrington and was very variable in quality.

Whenever there was a dispute at the brewery then the beer was delivered from the Yorkshire brewery and was a much better pint.

Roy

The worst I ever encountered was the first time we actually came boating on the Broadss. It was early 70's. We stopped at a pub advertising "Elgoods Fine Ales" and it was truly horrible! Closely followed by the afore mentioned Norwich Bitter and Red Barrel. The best drinks we had that time were in Beccles at the "Loaves and Fishes" but I can't for the life in me recall what they were. Must have been a good night!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Labrador said:

Any lager.

What's wrong with Lager?:hardhat:

Mind you there were many bad ones back in the day, Marksman. Carling in cans is naff since they changed the brew a few ago and I always regarded Stella as a woman's drink (it used to be somewhat scented).

Becks on draft my preferred brew.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 2