Historic Snaps Of The Broads, Excellent Stuff!

7 hours ago, VetChugger said:

Those are really fascinating photos Peter. Put me in mind of Frank Meadow Sutcliffe and his Whitby photos.

He was born in Headingley, Leeds just like me! One does hang onto a precarious claim to fame!

Have a spy if you wish!

http://tinyurl.com/ho92huq

Thanks for posting the link.

Sutcliffe is probably the more artistic of the two photographers. Despite his pictures being 'up North' I'm still a great fan.

I notice the pics in the link are from "Getty images".

I believe caution should be the keyword regarding use of their images. I have noted that they have been very aggressive in seeking compensation from un-authorised usage of their imagery.

Still, very interesting pics.

Emerson has also been dead for some considerable time, rather more than the seventy years usually required after the death of the creator. Copies may be of recent creation but does the copyright rest with the creator or the copier? In any case my use is private and in no way commercial. I believe that I am right in suggesting that to-date no one has successfully won a breach of copyright case in regard to the web.  

• Like 1

Just to clarify a point, it isn't so much the copying of a file for one's own private use but subsequent use that is the issue. I have no grief over folk who copy my snaps but I do and have done so when they have been published in print or for used for commercial purposes. In any case if I put photographs on the web I'm realistic enough to know that some folk will download them, how can I stop them, even if I wanted to? I like to think that most folk ask, as a matter of courtesy. 

• Like 3