Sound The Part!

JennyMorgan

3 minutes ago, Broadsword said:

I think the value of having specific terms (even if they are not the official ones!) is that everyone knows what is being referred to. It's the same with Port and Starboard, as opposed to left and right... it avoids confusion!  'Throw me the rope...  no the other rope... the one on the left hand side... as you face the bows I mean... No, the one tied to the thing on the back that um, you tie the rope to, for tying onto other things, on the bank... Too late, you've floated too far away...'

That is exactly the point. When something needs doing on a :Sailing - generally it needs doing promptly, there's no time for detailed explanation.

• Like 1

A few years ago, when sailing with us (and his then girlfriend) my youngest had fun renaming everything using the names of characters from his favourite TV show, The West Wing... So, although no-one else would have had a clue what was going on, we had a lot of fun adjusting the Bartlett, trimming the Josh and releasing the CJ's...

All good fun, and we survived!

• Like 1