Sound The Part!

JennyMorgan

Was on a boat today when the owner referred to a 'painter', now I know that that is a mooring rope on a small boat. Anyway I decided to check and found out that it is the 'string at the front' in particular. Once it was an everyday term but now I rarely hear it used, or even use it myself which is a pity. Us boaters have a rich vocabulary available to us, as well as long standing  traditions and customs. Have a peep at this lot:

http://phrontistery.info/nautical.html

There are only two ropes on a boat, a bolt rope and a bell rope, lots to learn. Then perhaps you'll tackle the complete Ashely Book of knots :rolleyes:

http://www.libramar.net/news/the_ashley_book_of_knots/2011-05-20-414

• Like 2

Yep so do I, with other bits of tying up string I say 'mooring line' or specifically 'a spring' if that's what it is doing at the time. 

I was a weaver before I was a saily so 'warp' is on a loom to me....or Dave's forum name of course. :)

We refer to the 'line' in shorthand, as in, 'can you release the stern line', but I think painter is acceptable on a small yacht?  We also both understand warps, but neither us would call them ropes!!

We usually teach youngsters that there are no ropes on a boat (so that they learn to refer to them correctly rather than just say 'pull that rope!' - but Peter is right... however, what do we imagine the bolt rope is? I use it to refer to the rope sewn into my sail luff... Is that right?

• Like 2

Sailing ropes

1,  Painter, a single rope from the stemhead of a small boat or dinghy to make fast to a mother ship, or a jetty, or when moored to a bouy on a swinging mooring

2,  Warps,  forward and aft mooring ropes.

3,  Springs,  mooring ropes attached at or near each quarter, and taken fwd to mooring post,  also from foredeck to aft mooring post

4,  Halayards,  ropes for hoisting sails

5,  Sheets,  ropes used to control, or set the sails.

Ihave`nt been sailing for many years, so is that right, or have i missed anything?.

4 hours ago, JennyMorgan said:

Just done a spot of googling, breast ropes are not normally a part of Broads boating, breast lines or warps are the norm.

So what is a bust line then? I'm pretty sure I've heard some emphatic language on that subject before particularly in the context of broads.

• Like 2

Avast me hearty's,  or  'Hold Fast'

Cracking thread this one, loads of naval terminology appearing and I know 'undreds' of em!

'Buffs' in the RN is not something one wants to hear if you are on the receiving end as it means:-    'Buck Up For 'F' Sake' ie one is not doing ones job properly.  Here's another 'BZ' - means exactly the opposite:- 'Well Done'

As for the rope terminology - I never refer to the head and stern berthing ropes as warps, I know that not correct but it's just what we are used to, on the many patrol craft / minesweepers I served on they were almost always referred to as Head and Stern ropes too.  'B.A' does have a genuine bell rope onboard and we have no use of a bolt rope unless we had the tender with us and it's sails up.

A cracking read of Naval terminology that is easy to follow and learn was written by Commander Jolly, a naval Surgeon (I  have a signed copy) - 'Jack Speak' https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jackspeak-Rick-Jolly/dp/1844861449#reader_1844861449

Griff

I think the value of having specific terms (even if they are not the official ones!) is that everyone knows what is being referred to. It's the same with Port and Starboard, as opposed to left and right... it avoids confusion!  'Throw me the rope...  no the other rope... the one on the left hand side... as you face the bows I mean... No, the one tied to the thing on the back that um, you tie the rope to, for tying onto other things, on the bank... Too late, you've floated too far away...'

• Like 2