Keep Your Distance

Poppy

Please remember folks to slow down when passing moored boats and keep your distance too!

We were moored at Thurne today enjoying lunch on board and were passed at less than three feet distant by a number of craft.

Their quite moderate wash, had a significant effect, not because of speed but because they were so close.

There isn't an armco barrier or a white line down the middle of the river you know.

Even more of an issue is when a yacht is seen head to wind in the reeds with its crew engaged in raising or lowering sail it's even more important.

I have seen people thrown in to the water by the disturbance caused when a boat passes too close and too fast. That didn't happen today, but we came close.....

Thanks.

• Like 8

I hate it if I spill my tea!

Couldn't agree more Poppy - and it's not as though the river is narrow around there!  Sadly, my worst experiences for this kind of annoying, thoughtless boating have been at How Hill - sadly, as we love visiting the place... but I won't moor there in a hurry now.

• Like 3

It always amazes me how close some boats pass moored boats,  on the Yare we have 80 odd feet width yet too many boats pass us within 3 feet.  What is so frightening about being off centre of such a wide river ..  I am almost tempted to shake hands with them. 

• Like 4

We had to deal with a large private cruiser last Saturday on the Yare :norty:.

Traveling along the Yare towards Reedham and there was a hire craft a voiding a large reed floating in the water and there was a large private cruiser deciding to overtake the hire craft, but the driver of the cruiser choose to move over to our part of the water :norty::norty:

I was just about to come out of the cabin and Ian told me to stay and hold on, because of his wash two guns. What a prat.

Why can't other boat user's be a bit more considerate and to check their wash / speed when passing other boats :shocked.

Regards

Marina :Stinky

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Broadsword said:

I hate it if I spill my tea!

Couldn't agree more Poppy - and it's not as though the river is narrow around there!  Sadly, my worst experiences for this kind of annoying, thoughtless boating have been at How Hill - sadly, as we love visiting the place... but I won't moor there in a hurry now.

It could have been worse, tea is wipeable up and replaceable. Far worse is the frying pan full of fat and sausages, when that lots hits the deck and falls into the dill your bangers are lost and the cabin sole is like a skating rink! Erhem ski boat passing much to close on Breydon, grrrrr.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Hi Marina, that reed raft, in Norfolk it's a 'hover', just thought that you'd like to know. 

Hi Peter, yes I know, but the hire craft crew do not, so maybe that should be in the hire craft manual :bow.

Should read " Wild life and floating reed's will move out of your way":clap

Regards

Marina :Stinky

• Like 4