Balls Of Steel.....

Poppy

2 hours ago, Poppy said:

.... or the ultimate idiot ?

I have done some free-fall parachuting and I still have my log book. It is very possible to steer yourself accurately to a target when free-falling. This is the principle of HALO (high altitude low opening) when inserting special forces into a small target area from a high flying aircraft, so as not to alert one's enemy. It seems that this man was an instructor of special forces and is also a film stuntman.

Even so, I wonder how many young men are now going to be killed trying to emulate this most un-necessary stunt. And I wonder how all his family, friends and colleagues, all assembled to witness it, would have felt if he had splatted himself into strawberry jam on the adjacent mountainside. He didn't hit the centre of the target, did he?

The terminal velocity (falling speed through gravity) of the human body is 125 MPH.

• Like 1