Broad Ambtion & The Royal Navy | Beyond The Harbour

LondonRascal

22 minutes ago, Vaughan said:

This is the 73 ft Vosper, built later in the war with 4 tubes, and later immortalised by an Airfix plastic kit. They were also well known in the North Sea.

Your earlier photo is a PT (patrol torpedo) boat, designed by Scott-Paine of the British Powerboat Co, after he lost the "short 72" contract to Vospers, with their prototype 102. So you are basically looking at the same boat as the gunboat Morning Flight, in Thorpe. I believe the Americans had some way of launching their torpedos sideways, by tipping them over the side. Doesn't sound any safer than the stern method!

Hi Vaughan,

I built the Airfix Kit, the gun turret was a nightmare to glue together ! lol. If you look on google there is a site with I think a pic of every version of MTB built. My relations were all on aircraft carriers, destroyers and cruisers, oh and the Prince of Wales.

cheersIain

Thanks for that Lurcher. The Beeb did a quite good job but they got confused between the Zeebrugge raid in WW1 and the St Nazaire raid in WW2.

I wasn't going to mention the CMB's of WW1 as I was talking more about Gt Yarmouth as an MTB base, and I didn't want to "nick" Robin's thread off him.

Sorry Robin!

• Like 1