Nine Crimes At Hickling

JennyMorgan

3 hours ago, John said:

They took an outboard from Langley two weeks ago and sank the boat in the process.

Not surprising, get above 20hp and many cruisers have their bottom outboard mounting below the waterline!!! Remove those bolts and you have a big problem. Which is all a bit stupid as the main reason I like outboard power is total hull integrity

With the bigger engines, you need the lower fixing bolts when turning at say full throttle, otherwise the engine can twist off the transom, if only relying on clamps.

Our honda 15 (old square top) has two bolts, but these are mounted well above the waterline. 

It wouldn't be difficult to seal a couple of bolts welded to a plate with nylock nuts on the engine side, once these nuts are removed, the fixing holes are sealed.  It would allow the boat to remain in the water if the engine is being serviced off the boat. However, no two engines have the same bolt fixing pattern.

If you secure your engine too well, it has been known that thieves chainsaw out the transom complete with engine.

I can never understand how something like this can go undetected. However, we hear petrol lawn mowers, hedge trimmers and chainsaws, running often, who would think to look at what is going on?

Richard  

10 minutes ago, MauriceMynah said:

I have often wondered about fixing a piece of angle iron right across the stern within the outboard mounting transom to b****r up any chainsaw blade.

If it was hidden it would be good, or they will probably keep cutting till they find the end of it lol...

Stainless would look better though.

Our bungalow is 250 metres from the village church. It, along with our rather not remember the final figure, German conservatory is so well insulated we cannot her bell ringing practice on a Friday night.

That is however a god send as my seriously ill wife goes to sleep in the early evening.

• Like 1