BOAT PAINTING

Guest LEEDS1950

Does anyone know a norfolk boat painter who will sand down and paint a grp cruiser undercover at a reasonable rate . I heard of some one who charges about £10 an hour and does a good job but i do not have a contact .

Theres plenty of yards that do it but they are looking at about £25 an hour .

Any help would be welcome .

ta

Yes, that's certainly the nub of it.

Covered work areas at the Waterside, are expensive real estate, and in limited supply, especially when most people want it done (off season).

Expensive "Nautical" painting rates have come up on forums before, where it's too easy to forget that fact, and compare the charge with say, repainting the outside of a house. In that instance, the only factors are the labour and paint.

Clive's £2.25 equates to £67.50 a week for an average 30ft boat, (quite reasonable), but slippage might need to be added also, unless it's a wet shed, but then it would make antifouling tricky ! :)

Does anyone know a norfolk boat painter who will sand down and paint a grp cruiser undercover at a reasonable rate . I heard of some one who charges about £10 an hour and does a good job but i do not have a contact .

Theres plenty of yards that do it but they are looking at about £25 an hour .

Any help would be welcome .

ta

The £10/hour wouldn't cover the hire of a shed ot the materials though. Most yards quote per foot for hull painting, which will include the use of the shed and the materials. Bear in mind that boat paint is very expensive, so £10 and hour might sound cheap, but end up dearer in the long run.

I'd suggest the best option would be to get a few quotes from Yards as an "all-in" price so you can at least compare like for like.

Yes the £10 an hour would only be the labour rate . Lifting out and materials would be extra . I am happy for an all in price from a yard , but it would be nice to do it myself or have some one to help . I have done it before and am aware of the job but i live 200 miles away .

Thanks

Apart from Clive's offer already on this thread, many Broads boatyards will allow the owner to paint their own boat, using their undercover and/or slipped facilities.

(Martham Boats, Neatishead Boatyard (at Wayford Bridge, but no shed), spring to mind immediately.

Surely though, with several 400 mile round trips, it's never going to be cost effective for you to do the work yourself ? (at least £40 in fuel each trip ?) :shocked

We plan on having some painting work done by Stephen Warner at Quayway Boats (based in the old Aston Yard Beccles). His quote seems reasonable and I have seen other painting he has done, which has been fantastic quality. He really knows his onions (and boats!) and is really helpful.

Contact him at quaywayboats@hotmail.co.uk

Thanks for your replys . I am based on the northern broads so will try that area as first choice . The ideal would still be to find a freelance painter as i think i can sort out under cover storage to work .

cheers

• 1 year later...

I am looking to Paint the topsides of my boat this summer.

1. what should i use to clear off the old paint thats on there.

2.I have heard that 2 pot paint is the best to recoat.expensive i know,but is'nt it all.

3.Does it have to be done undercover.

The original colour or one of them is dark blue,at the mo it is white.

I will be doing the work myself as i have spent enough on it already so have to..

All ideas will be looked at.

I have heard that 2 pot paint is the best to recoat.

If you try to put 2 pack paint on top of ordinary (non two pack) paint, then it will partially strip the original paint, then set rock hard, with a very badly crazed surface.

I know someone who had a centre cockpit Elysian where the previous owner had done that, and it took him 4 weeks to scrape and sand down to a flat surface. No paint strippers can remove two pack, because it sets chemically from the two resin components.

• 10 years later...

Red rover , That's what I am scared of I have an old Elysian 27 that has been overpainted with what i don't know but it is badly pitted and I have spent hours trying to sand it to little avail. It just chips off and resists an orbital sander with 40 grit paper.

I have considered using a primer filler to try and  even things out before painting but as I don't know what's under it I want to avoid any reaction . I know that acrylic paints are fairly neutral and get used on cars , does it follow on paint over gel coat ?