Smart Phone?anything But!

addicted

6 months ago I was forced to get a  new phone because my dear old Nokia had got a bit cranky  (like me). The only thing on offer was a so called Smart phone. I'm sure the vile thing was invented to torment me . It buried messages, Lost stored info. and was reluctant to turn on and that's just a tiny part of it 's shortcomings. In the 6 months I had it  my mastering of it never improved and usually I'm not too bad at learning to use a new phone. This weekend I saw advertised a phone that promised to be very much like my old Nokia. So this morning I hot footed it into town and bought one! I was vindicated somewhat when I gave my Smartphone to the chap in the shop to transfer my data onto the new one he laid it on his desk while he sorted  out my new one and he looked down at it and said" what the hell is it doing? Crumbs it's got  mind of it's own hasn't it? So it wasn't just me, the phone was truly awful.I 've just spent half an hour loading all my settings on to the new one without even referring to the instructions. Marvellous! I feel as if I've got my life back.

Carole

• Like 4

what is the new nokia like phone? I have been struggling away with a blackberry (discarded by my wife), until all the buttons fell off, and have just transferred to a second identical blackberry that the daughter had spare. but for all that I use a phone for, the blackberry is a waste, now if I could tether the laptop to the internet through it, that might help, but I cant.

My son in law uses the basic phone from tesco's £9.99, as he is for ever dropping his out of his pocket. By the time he reaslises he has ploughed it in or run it over with his tractor. The only thing to survive is usually the sim card. I am seriously considering getting oneof them, then all the reasos for tossing phone in the river or sea are gone.

Charlie

• Like 2

1 minute ago, grendel said:

what is the new nokia like phone? I have been struggling away with a blackberry (discarded by my wife), until all the buttons fell off, and have just transferred to a second identical blackberry that the daughter had spare. but for all that I use a phone for, the blackberry is a waste, now if I could tether the laptop to the internet through it, that might help, but I cant.

Hi Grendel, it's a Doro 6520 flip phone which reminds me of my favourite phone of all time from way back which was a Sendo and given how long ago it was way ahead of it's time, It couldn't be  simpler to use.

Carole

My Mum had a Sony Android phone, and would complain bitterly about things which I would shrug off as her not being able to understand how to use it properly but it was not until I got down to use it myself that I found out just how bad it was.

All phones are not equal and sadly there are many out there which are just not capable of running the the operating system and Apps smoothly which causes everything to go slow and generally fall apart the moment you begin adding to it - things like texts, photos, other Apps and so on.

She now uses an Honour 7 - it is the 'cheapo brand' of Huawei but it works really well, is snappy and takes great photos and a battery that with moderate use will last a couple of days between re-charges. Not all Android phones are equal and in my experience it is far better to get one online so you can actually have a try and see and send it back, for when you buy in store you can't just take it back used and swap it unless you happen to buy from somewhere that is accepting of such.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

CarolE phones are made for talking, texting and that's it. We have computers to every thing else. Mind tell my 4 gransons that and they'll say but grandad how can you survive without a smart phone ....

Cgarlie :kiss

Couldn't agree more Charlie. Although having said that I like to use the phone to remind me to send cards , keep appointments etc.,  as spending so much time on the boat as I do during the summer I tend to lose track of stuff. I don't need it for internet access having got the wilful tablet!

CarolE

• Like 1

Just now, addicted said:

Couldn't agree more Charlie. Although having said that I like to use the phone to remind me to send cards , keep appointments etc.,  as spending so much time on the boat as I do during the summer I tend to lose track of stuff. I don't need it for internet access having got the wilful tablet!

CarolE

CarolE thats what the NBN calender is for, that way you can lok at a picture daily.

Charlie :kiss

• Like 1

Just now, LondonRascal said:

My Mum had a Sony Android phone, and would complain bitterly about things which I would shrug off as her not being able to understand how to use it properly but it was not until I got down to use it myself that I found out just how bad it was.

All phones are not equal and sadly there are many out there which are just not capable of running the the operating system and Apps smoothly which causes everything to go slow and generally fall apart the moment you begin adding to it - things like texts, photos, other Apps and so on.

She now uses an Honour 7 - it is the 'cheapo brand' of Huawei but it works really well, is snappy and takes great photos and a battery that with moderate use will last a couple of days between re-charges. Not all Android phones are equal and in my experience it is far better to get one online so you can actually have a try and see and send it back, for when you buy in store you can't just take it back used and swap it unless you happen to buy from somewhere that is accepting of such.

The Smartphone I had was an Android but then so is my tablet and that has a mind of it's own as well it must be an Android thing as a friend of mine had to abandon her phone also an android.  y new one was advertised as costing from £39.99 pay as you go.  But I've got  contract with Vodophone that's so cheap they practically pay me! So I bought the new one from them at £59.99. still very cheap really. Spending so much time on the boat from April- November (we're only home for about 4 days a month) it's quite important for me to have a reliable phone.

Carole

• Like 1