Tolls - Speechless

dnks34

The BA took on the Lock, and Breydon,  at the height of J.P's empire building, at the same time that I was on the Nav Com. It may well be that ABP 'encouraged'JP but I have no doubt that he gleefully grabbed the opportunity! Don't forget that it would take an Act of Parliament to close the Lock and ABP, being a 'harbour authority' would have been duty bound to maintain the Lock and would only be able to make a 'reasonable charge' for its use, exactly the same as for the Authority. As for ABP, I believe that all they did was to ask for a contribution, understandably so, but it was JP who escalated the deal into the BA taking over the Lock.

• Like 1

Now I know that I might be putting myself out here to ridicule, and when it is said that BA are responsible for the moorings that they lease. But if they have a stretch of land available for mooring, do they have to provide posts, suitable standing area for health and safety reasons, or can't there be it where boaters have to get out their rhond anchors as the maintenance cost would be far lower for these moorings.

• Like 1

Kevin, the cynic in me suggests that whilst the Authority must be mindful of corporate liabilities it also spends about 50% of our tolls on non navigational expenditure. In other words the more it spends on providing mooring posts, deck ruining crushed concrete and other fripperies then the more it can demand. The more it gets via our tolls then the bigger that 50% is, a simple but obvious equation in my opinion, a cunning plan!! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Kevin, the cynic in me suggests that whilst the Authority must be mindful of corporate liabilities it also spends about 50% of our tolls on non navigational expenditure. In other words the more it spends on providing mooring posts, deck ruining crushed concrete and other fripperies then the more it can demand. The more it gets via our tolls then the bigger that 50% is, a simple but obvious equation in my opinion, a cunning plan!! 

That will explain why the authority in spite of it being reported dozens of time have yet to replace a post at church fen brundall , maybe its not been long enough to get sorted after all its only 3 yrs , more to the point why use posts ? They rot , are a hazard at night , get broken off ! Why not use galvanised rings bolted to the steel work as the posts are , makes sense to me , less cost , less chance of requiring repair and better life span + less likely to cause injury to the unsuspecting boater at night .