Tolls - Speechless

dnks34

50 minutes ago, dnks34 said:

Thankyou Paladin, 110970 i was way out!

Footballers can be paid obscene amounts but atleast it isnt coming out of the public purse!

I think it does, the kids of course buy the merchandise that has the name of the wearer of their favourite footballer, who in turn wears the name of said manufacturer, the public purse is opened.

On the thread about the loss of moorings I think I mentioned a BA document that detailed the moorings they had given up. Nothing what so ever to do with demands from landowners for more money. Simply a case of each one of those moorings required or is about to require, work done to them that the Broads Authority would be expected to pay for.

A 3% increase in tolls I would suggest could be covered out of the budget wasted on needless petulant litigation. Perhaps an investment of 50p on a ball of string to retrieve Mr Packman's dummy every time he spits it out would be better value for money than a gratuitously inept planning department?

Mind I did notice Mr Packman is wanting to address boater's 'common concerns'. In which case, 3% is not too unfair an increase if he really is retiring?

• Haha 6

The increase is in line with or maybe even slightly lower than the forecast rate of inflation. In my mind, that is a result. Anyone who was expecting either no rise or a very small one understands little of how these organisations work. They will take it and justify it whether or not they actually need it

• Like 3

Thankyou Paladin, 110970 i was way out!
Footballers can be paid obscene amounts but atleast it isnt coming out of the public purse!

I believe that will be the total cost of the CEO's office which will probably include a PA and some other expenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What various other public service CEOs are paid is largely irrelevant. Some are grossly overpaid, maybe some are not. What does matter is whether their salary offers value for money to what are effectively their customers. There is a ridiculous situation where the more folk a CEO employs then the more that that CEO is paid, hence the number of non or unnecessary jobs in the public sector. The police are under considerable pressure to reduce their costs, it is about time that similar pressure was applied to such as the Broads Authority. The duplication of planning services in the Broads area should be an immediate casualty, for example.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, MauriceMynah said:

The increase is in line with or maybe even slightly lower than the forecast rate of inflation. In my mind, that is a result. Anyone who was expecting either no rise or a very small one understands little of how these organisations work. They will take it and justify it whether or not they actually need it

I am  under no illusions but my perception is very different.

I dont look at a 3% as dodging a bullet I look at it as taking yet another liberty. 

Looking through the BA's monthly expenditure sheets its easy for someone like me to severely scrutinise expenditure, unfortunately for them Im the sort who wont take everything on the chin and will voice my opinion! 

• Like 3

Dont forget that a lot of boats are actually owned by pensioners, all of whom will be getting a 3% increase!! Indeed I suspect if you were to check, that number is probably significant.

Going back to last years increase, I suspect when the figures are announced, you will find that the OVERALL take from tolls will be only marginally higher - it will not be anything like the increases some saw as all those who saw a decrease are keeping a low profile!! ( My dinghy went down!! )

• Like 1

1 minute ago, marshman said:

Dont forget that a lot of boats are actually owned by pensioners, all of whom will be getting a 3% increase!! Indeed I suspect if you were to check, that number is probably significant.

Going back to last years increase, I suspect when the figures are announced, you will find that the OVERALL take from tolls will be only marginally higher - it will not be anything like the increases some saw as all those who saw a decrease are keeping a low profile!! ( My dinghy went down!! )

No buoyancy?

Re pensions, my state pension allegedly keeps up with inflation, my occupational pension certainly doesn't!

Over the last ten years tolls have, in many cases doubled, have state pensions also doubled?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dnks34 said:

I dont look at a 3% as dodging a bullet I look at it as taking yet another liberty. 

Looking through the BA's monthly expenditure sheets its easy for someone like me to severely scrutinise expenditure, unfortunately for them Im the sort who wont take everything on the chin and will voice my opinion! 

Hello dnks34,

Your stance is commendable but while ever the Broads is managed by this quango I have a feeling that you are wasting your breath, the good doctor does not seem to listen to anyone including his own officers and front lined troops.

Regards

Alan 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Timbo said:

Nothing what so ever to do with demands from landowners for more money. Simply a case of each one of those moorings required or is about to require, work done to them that the Broads Authority would be expected to pay for.

On the contrary, in dome cases the landowners were told they were responsible  for maintenance. Landowners said stuff it.

1 hour ago, ranworthbreeze said:

Hello dnks34,

Your stance is commendable but while ever the Broads is managed by this quango I have a feeling that you are wasting your breath, the good doctor does not seem to listen to anyone including his own officers and front lined troops.

Regards

Alan 

Your quite right Alan but if nobody applied any pressure at all where would we be then.

If increasing the Toll year on year was seem more as a failing on Packmans part then maybe he would treat it differently, we can all see how much the Toll has increased during his tenure.  

At what point will someone step in and say enough.  He cant continue to make questionable decisions then grab more from boat owners to pay for his cock ups.

He needs to concentrate on the job in hand and stop empire building and if he wont or cant do that for hurting his ego then he needs to go. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It may "only" be 3% but the compounding effect following last years big rise is that in £ the rise gets bigger every single year.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does a £444.99 AW toll cover just 120 miles of waterway with just one lock? 

At LAST!   Cracking reply, one of the best,  if not the best repartees to an age old topic

I get whole heartedly sick of hearing the same old defence statement that the tolls on the Broads are like for like cheaper than the canals by 'Defenders' of the BA.

Comparing the two is imho just plain ridiculous.

I shall try to remember to use your 'FACT' in future toll discussions.  Well done matey and thanks

Griff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

12 minutes ago, BroadAmbition said:

Does a £444.99 AW toll cover just 120 miles of waterway with just one lock? 

At LAST!   Cracking reply, one of the best,  if not the best repartees to an age old topic

I get whole heartedly sick of hearing the same old defence statement that the tolls on the Broads are like for like cheaper than the canals by 'Defenders' of the BA.

Comparing the two is imho just plain ridiculous.

I shall try to remember to use your 'FACT' in future toll discussions.  Well done matey and thanks

Griff

Totally agree with that , o could go on the canals and pay double what I do here but iv 2000 miles of network and can moor on any bank for up to 14 days mostly because CRT own the banks where as BA dont .

I'm not particularly defending the BA re: the Anglian waterways toll amount, its simply that is my only other viable waterway to keep my boat so for me its a direct comparison. Looking at the East Anglian Waterways Association website there is a proposed toll increase for 2018/2019 of 7.5% which they are not happy about especially considering the EA are also proposing selling off 3 plots of land that will result in a loss of moorings. Sadly the grass is not always greener.

Ultimately I still feel the broads toll is fair value, this year was billed as a restructure with winners and losers, next year is in line with inflation. If next time there is an inflation busting rise with no guaranteed benefit then I may change my mind.

Ricardo: I agree that for a liveaboard the CRT toll is better value and much easier to live on the canals, but you choose to stay here and honestly If I wanted to liveaboard I would too

1 hour ago, 40something said:

I'm not particularly defending the BA re: the Anglian waterways toll amount, its simply that is my only other viable waterway to keep my boat so for me its a direct comparison. Looking at the East Anglian Waterways Association website there is a proposed toll increase for 2018/2019 of 7.5% which they are not happy about especially considering the EA are also proposing selling off 3 plots of land that will result in a loss of moorings. Sadly the grass is not always greener.

Ultimately I still feel the broads toll is fair value, this year was billed as a restructure with winners and losers, next year is in line with inflation. If next time there is an inflation busting rise with no guaranteed benefit then I may change my mind.

Ricardo: I agree that for a liveaboard the CRT toll is better value and much easier to live on the canals, but you choose to stay here and honestly If I wanted to liveaboard I would too

Yep I'm stopping here , I did live aboard on the canals on this boat but when I chose to relocate I decided that it wouldn't really fit in at 57 feet long and be difficult to find Mooring's hence I sold her even though she was only 5 yrs old .

IMG_20170815_170226.jpg

2 hours ago, 40something said:

That looks very nice, but not really suited to the broads as you say. What have you got now and is it as comfy to live on as the NB? 

When I first came down here I had a powles 33 but I proved a bit difficult at times single handed , so I swapped to an elysian which as almost as much storage as the powles due to lots of lost space and it takes up less room mooring wise , without a shadow of a doubt the narrow boat is by far the most comfortable to live on but it is really like living in a long thin tube :default_biggrin: the elysian is pretty comfortable really though I'm not sold on canopy's security wise so at some point I think it will get a hard top as I rarely drop it anyway on less I really have to .

I don't think the BA wanted Mutford at all - my guess is that AB ports said they were closing it unless the BA funded it or took it over!!

Its a bit like some of the "lost" and existing moorings - in the past when the bank has been part of the flood defence the EA were committed to looking after it but now that is no longer the case the EA will not maintain it and they want someone else to do it - either the landowner or the BA. Given the cost of maintaining the moorings, especially the steel ones, its hardly surprising no one wants to do this !!

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, marshman said:

I don't think the BA wanted Mutford at all - my guess is that AB ports said they were closing it unless the BA funded it or took it over!!

Its a bit like some of the "lost" and existing moorings - in the past when the bank has been part of the flood defence the EA were committed to looking after it but now that is no longer the case the EA will not maintain it and they want someone else to do it - either the landowner or the BA. Given the cost of maintaining the moorings, especially the steel ones, its hardly surprising no one wants to do this !!

I guess Burgh Castle moorings will fall into the 'steel' category. There is less than half of the original moorings available now and I can't see the EA repairing the section that has been closed off. It will surely only be a matter of time before what is left goes the same way. 

When we passed Turntide Jetty a couple of weeks ago, it looked as if some of the new piling (on the Berney side) is already falling apart. Anybody else noticed it? I suppose the BA will want more tolls money for repair to that if I have got it right.