Should We Judge The BA On What They Do Or The End Result?

JohnK

There is a lot more to it than that, John! You say 'reasonable' price but do you know that about half your toll is diverted into paying for matters other than navigation? Did you know that there are those within the Authority who would dearly love to be able to prevent you going to where you want and just when you want unless what you're doing agrees with their 'vision'?  

The Authority is not faultless, I don't think that in anyone's wildest imagination could they claim otherwise, neither can anyone reasonably suggest that they don't do some very creditable work both for the Broads and us boaters. It is just a pity that the ethos and heritage of the Broads does sometimes get brushed under the carpet, but generally for not too long!!

I certainly wouldn't wish to see the Authority disbanded, but it does need a darn good shake-up.

• Like 3

There is a lot more to it than that, John! You say 'reasonable' price but do you know that about half your toll is diverted into paying for matters other than navigation? Did you know that there are those within the Authority who would dearly love to be able to prevent you going to where you want just when you want unless your doing so agrees with their 'vision'? 

I knew some but not all of that but my point is kind of that I don’t care.
I am over simplifying it but if I’m happy with what I pay and what I get does it matter?

I kind of take the attitude that if I’m not prepared to get involved I shouldn’t criticise (and I’m genuinely only applying that to myself, not criticising anyone else). However, if I saw something happening I didn’t like then I would get involved, it’s just that right now I’m very happy with the status quo.

We wakeboard on the Broads and the hoops we had to jump through to do that are pretty intense (much more so than anywhere else we’ve used). But what the hell? We get to wakeboard on the Broads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

I certainly wouldn't wish to see the Authority disbanded, but it does need a darn good shake-up.

Dosn`t that apply to just about every public authority and some Private ones, while nothing is perfect we either enjoy where we are warts and all or move to another area that fits our criteria better.

Fred

I have a 21ft motorsailor and my toll is £131 per year , £3.00 a week . For me a very cheap hobby . I used to go fishing at £10 a session and my brother loves golf at £40 a round. I don't drink but believe a pint now cost more than my weekly toll that gives me 7 days enjoyment and stress free relaxation.

Rant over , Nigel

Nigel, you can fish for free on the Broads!

The original question was a good one, namely 'Should We Judge The BA On What They Do Or The End Result?' It wasn't about costs.

Your toll is £131.00, how often do you use your boat? Do you not have other relevant costs? Some folk might only use theirs only ten times a year. Cost really isn't the issue, nor the question.

Complacency will do do the Broads no great favours.

Yes there are other costs but if I was a drinker there would also be other costs like babysitter taxi home etc. If I was like my brother I would have to find thousands for golf things , clubs ?

What I was getting at is I feel BA use my small contribution very well. Reedham is a very good example, I solo most of the time and really appreciate the help when mooring there!!

And free moorings well kept and clean are very much welcomed !!

Try going down to Surrey and cruise , £90 per month , graffiti everywhere and muggers galore. 

Rant over Nigel

JM

I wasn`t being critical of your comment just trying to put the original question  into context with the experience we all have wherever we live, as a lifelong resident I fully understand that you may have a slightly different view on how the area is managed to most of us in just the same way as I look on my area, I can be just as critical of the mayor of London and my local authority neither of whom represent my personal interest as we often are of JP and the BA, neither group are perfect and on balance in my eyes the BA do a better overall job than my lot.

My point perhaps not put very clearly was that as visitors most of us are generally happy that the Broads warts and all provide us with what we want or we wouldn't go there just as tourists are obviously happier with London than a lot of residents, so my answer to the original question is yes overall the end result is probably more relevant to most than the means by which it is achieved even if we don`t always agree with the means used.

Fred

• Thanks 1

Fred, as a London outsider I rather admire Boris. Imagine Boris Boats, toll free and available to all, so long as they can climb aboard and have a quid or two. Congestion charging for Wroxham & Horning, bring it on!  Emission control of diesel guzzling boats at Brundall, surely that's the way forward. Borris for BA CEO!!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bound2Please said:

Lets keep politics out of this please, remember the guidelines

Charlie

Sorry I didn`t see this before my last post although in defence I would suggest comments  relating to an individuals attitude to office isn't political in the same sense as party politics, after all JP is a political appointment even if not elected.

Fred