Kedge Anchor

Hi all

Just trying to get my salty - "list of things to buy and do" - put together

It has been suggested on a couple of occasions that it is a good idea to carry a kedge anchor. The main anchor is the folding type and I understand it is usual the kedge is something different - but what?

The boat is 33 ft - can anyone advise please?

thanks in advance

Wayne

It is unlikely that you will need a kedge unless you are anchoring really close in on a very calm day or anchored in the Walton backwaters somewhere but it should be about 2/3 of the weight of, and a similar pattern to the main anchor. For general east coast work one of the “plough†patterns is probably the most useful, being suited to the majority of the holding you will find. I have a question though, you say “folding anchor†and I’m not sure I like the sound of that for a main handbrake on a heavy 33 footer as it conjures visions of the folding grapnel type. Unless you mean a Danforth or Brittany pattern which is not really a folding anchor though the flukes can lie flat when stowed.

If it is one of those types then it will be OK for sandy bottoms provided it is of sufficient weight and has the right chain and rode.

Hi - I think it is a danforth, well that style anyway - It may be one of the similar copies.

I dont really intend anchoring anywhere yet - I like being attached to something soild like a pontoon or quay - it's just the boat survey recommmeded it , as did the Sea Safe check.

Thanks for your help

Wayne

I guess that from a safety rather than anchoring point of view they are right and are using the word “kedge†in its true sense, that is to say an anchor for assisting in backing you off an obstruction or for manoeuvring. I would go for a plough type with the usual chain / rode then. Also it’s probably a good idea to learn techniques on how and when it should be deployed otherwise there’s not a lot of point in having it. :grin:

If I had a nice sea-going boat like many of you chaps on here, I think I'd have two or three, as they're so cheap in comparison to the boat.

If you ever got one snagged, you'd be down to one again for the rest of that cruise, and it's also nice to be well covered against being blown onto a lee shore with engine failure, (even for twins) :)

If you ever got one snagged, you'd be down to one again for the rest of that cruise,

You think I'm going to leave £400 quid + on the seabed? snag or no snag, the bugger's coming back aboard :naughty:

Seriously we do carry a couple and retrieval gear and an angel but with the east coast ground as it is then unless you deliberately go looking for foul ground for fishing then it is unlikely you will ever snag.

Still nice to be able to chuck everything over and the kitchen sink in a strong North-easterly if suddenly engine-less. :)

Not like dropping one off Cornwall though, as you say.

The beauty of the Danforth type is that they do fold flat and if I was you, which i am not, I would relegate the Danforth to the kedge as it can be kept in a locker more easily and buy a CQR type or Bruce type for the main anchor!!!! Personally i have never been especially keen on the Danforth type in mud, although i know others swear by them.

Ask a question on any Forum and you will get loads of advice, but then you are faced with which to select - almost as difficult as the original question! :wave

And to make sure that the end of the anchor chain is actually attached to the boat!

Just for clarity and I'm sure it's not what Martin intended, but never, ever, attach a chain directly to the boat, even if you have an all chain set up there should be some string between the chain and boat that is exposed and accessible ready to cut in an emergency.

Just for clarity and I'm sure it's not what Martin intended, but never, ever, attach a chain directly to the boat, even if you have an all chain set up there should be some string between the chain and boat that is exposed and accessible ready to cut in an emergency.

Thanks for pointing that out as I didn't make myself clear.

Even if you do have a length of warp on the end of the chain you might also find it useful to have a spare length available for when you don't want to lay all your scope. A length of nice strechable anchor warp can be useful as a shock absorber whilst you are at anchor. Drop the anchor normally and set it, then clip the end of the warp to the top of the chain outside of your anchor roller and let out another couple of feet of chain. Take the strain off the chain with the warp and secure it.

Then when waves hit the boat she doesnt stop with as much of a jerk when the chain goes tight.

Going back to the original title of this thread make sure that you have a second anchor line available for the kedge as you might need to use it at the same time as your main line (or might have lost the main cable!).

I have seen some fairly heavy yachts that have a long webbing strap on a reel for this purpose (a bit like a very long car seat belt strap on a hosereel) as that stows away in a locker easily but I'm not totally sure what size of boats they are intended for.

Martin