Whitlingham Electric Posts

Please be aware these posts are off , now at the moment iv no idea why as I have yet to speak to BA and when I know I will repost my findings , but that said iv a pretty good idea why and if my suspicions are confirmed then I will regardless of the ethics name and shame if that's the case .

There's a whole boating community in that area who I imagine would be using those posts regularly this time of year. Have you noticed the yatch station has metal covers and locks over their posts this year. 

Good luck to anyone hoping to plug in in the Norwich area

Brandenjg

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, brandenjg said:

There's a whole boating community in that area who I imagine would be using those posts regularly this time of year. Have you noticed the yatch station has metal covers and locks over their posts this year. 

Good luck to anyone hoping to plug in in the Norwich area

Brandenjg

Norwich has had covers on for probably 4-5 yrs now ever since they put in an extra post , and yes true whitlingham is used by plenty including myself but I don't abuse it and I suspect as happened before a few yrs back that some who have abused it have caused BA to turn it off , obviously that affects me and anyone else who wishes to use it if that's the case n trust me my instincts rarely lie to me , but before I accuse anyone the least I can do is talk to those that will know which is my intention first thing tomorrow , they may have tripped out but I doubt it somehow , I'm also going to follow this up with the local rangers as they will know who was responsible not that I can't guess .

Now last yr I broke down in a pretty serious way twice as in head gasket failure and alternator failure on both occasions is was allowed to complete Repair's with the permission of BA at whitlingham and no I didn't scream bylaw 72 at them as if others have in the past there's no need if you talk to BA in a reasonable manner then they are reasonable with you as iv always found .

This removal of a facility affects anyone regardless of hire boat , sindicate boat or those who live afloat and its wrong of BA to not if it is a case of a few causing problems to remove facilities for everyone they should bar those responsible not everyone :40_rage:.

Richardo, the Authority is under no obligation whatsoever to provide hook-up facilities, indeed they are outside their remit in doing so. Granted that the live-aboard/houseboat community depends on the hook-ups but as things are that is not a right. That said if boats were houses then there would be a legal obligation thus perhaps the BA should accept power supply at over wintering moorings as being a reasonable responsibility. Perhaps one for the RBO.

Reasonable Rangers, yes, most are, commendably so.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JennyMorgan said:

Richardo, the Authority is under no obligation whatsoever to provide hook-up facilities, indeed they are outside their remit in doing so. Granted that the live-aboard/houseboat community depends on the hook-ups but as things are that is not a right. That said if boats were houses then there would be a legal obligation thus perhaps the BA should accept power supply at over wintering moorings as being a reasonable responsibility. Perhaps one for the RBO.

Reasonable Rangers, yes, most are, commendably so.

I think that while I have no personal views on this one way or the other there are a couple of relevant points that seem to get constantly overlooked, firstly while JM is quite right regarding the provision of electric points the BA are not a housing authority and have no obligations as such,  while the BA recognise Residential Boats and Houseboats as separate entities  unlike the canals there is no classification of continuous cruisers on the Broads and as such are just private owners with no special priviligies. 

Fred

• Thanks 1

Hang in a minute who is asking for special consideration I certainly aren't and more is my boat dependent on mains supply though I do know others that most defiantly are simply because they haven't bothered to make the vessel self sufficient , my 2 breakdowns were entirely different I was at that point dependent on power and hence me talking to BA , and let's not forget that the posts were being upgraded and all power was off but by that time things were sorted , now I'm hoping that no one begrudges that I had no choice but to be there longer than the stated period because without a cylinder head on I cant run the engine to recharge or gain any hot water and the same goes for the alternator , both times I was straight with BA and both times they said OK which I appreciated greatly , of cause there is a eminent of those living afloat that thi k they can do as they please a d have caused the power to be turned off at whitlingham a few yrs back .

Now iv spoken to the senior ranger this morning and he called me back to say that an engineer is visiting the site this afternoon as its most likely tripped out , obviously had there been another issue regarding the posts being off he would have known about it as its not something that a ranger would do without discussion .

So there we go iv done my best to sort things even though I'm not dependent on the facility in anyway at all ( with the exception of breaking down ) 

That I very much doubt as it was working yesterday afternoon at around 3 pm and not at  6pm and basically it was quite low for a change , iv personally seen it half way up the posts in 2012 when everywhere was flooded and the electric was still on  it that's before all the mucking about cut and carve new metres .

Quick up date on the situation and that is problem solved , power was restored this afternoon via the BA engineer , I reported the 32_amp Meter the one that's caused trouble since last yr n its now going to be changed in the near future but is currently out of service .

All in all an excellent response by BA upon hearing of a problem so hats off to all concerned :12_slight_smile:.