Working Out Tolls

LondonRascal

I have today got my BSS Certificate for Independence, so now I have to apply for the proper annual Toll. I have been charged various amounts in the past for temporary tolls, and been told different amounts over the phone based on the size of the boat. I'd like therefore to share this with others and see if we all agree to the same price. 

The Broads Authority say:

To calculate the square metre area of your vessel measure the hull length and the beam in metres to the nearest centimetre then multiply these two measurements. The toll is based on whole square metres so disregard any decimal parts, for example if the vessel is 9.75m2, you will be charged for a 9m2 vessel.

So based on this Independence is 16.2m in length by 4.6m beam - thus this gets me to 74.52 m2 and by removing the decimal point I have a 74 m2 vessel for Toll purposes (am I correct so far?)

Now the scale of charges on The Broads Authority website takes into account vessels up to 20m2 and thereon for each additional square meter add £13.24 for a motor craft.

I calculate this to mean 20m2  £264.80 plus 54 x £13.24 (£714.96) to equal a total amount of £979.76

I think I have that correct - and now everyone who thought they had a hefty Toll bill can wonder again lol.

10 minutes ago, ChrisB said:

EEK! that would have covered my mooring.

Mooring:               £4,501.00

Insurance:            £1,342.00

Tolls:                       £ 979.76

Matters not how you look at it, boating is not cheap. Regardless of boat, the single highest outlay is mooring which is why I never quite get the moaning about the Tolls. The bit of wood and some posts you attach the boat to costs so much for what it actually is.

• Like 6

Well your boat is 3.3 times bigger than mine in sqft  and your costs for toll+mooriing+ins are 2.8 times mine, so fairly proportional.  lucky for you the BA do not measure height :default_rofl:

1 hour ago, Koolwabbit said:

I think you will find with B.A that they take the area for a vessel from a set database. I argued that my yacht was shorter than normal vivacity 6.5 but wouldn't accept it. 

Koolwabbit

BA will measure your boat if you ask em I had a discrepancy a couple of yrs back and very easy to rectify really just ask .

3 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

I have today got my BSS Certificate for Independence, so now I have to apply for the proper annual Toll. I have been charged various amounts in the past for temporary tolls, and been told different amounts over the phone based on the size of the boat. I'd like therefore to share this with others and see if we all agree to the same price. 

The Broads Authority say:

So based on this Independence is 16.2m in length by 4.6m beam - thus this gets me to 74.52 m2 and by removing the decimal point I have a 74 m2 vessel for Toll purposes (am I correct so far?)

Now the scale of charges on The Broads Authority website takes into account vessels up to 20m2 and thereon for each additional square meter add £13.24 for a motor craft.

I calculate this to mean 20m2  £264.80 plus 54 x £13.24 (£714.96) to equal a total amount of £979.76

I think I have that correct - and now everyone who thought they had a hefty Toll bill can wonder again lol.

You buys the boat you pay the price , simple really , I don't complain about my tolls as I use my boat a lot more than most , but if you want a big boat you get a big bill , incidentally that's exactly how you work it out the amounts paid in short visit tolls will be deducted from last yrs tolls , you should be allowed a 50% charge of last yrs tolls as the vessel was registered and came onto the broads after January 1st and short visit tolls dedicated from that then as from April this yr you start again , that's how it works unfortunately so I'm guessing the figure is around £1400.00 less the short visits paid , short visit tolls are by far the easiest to work out as it goes purely on length hence very difficult to get wrong .

I was charged various sums for short visit tolls - despite receipts sent to me in the post with the card payment receipt showing the same measurements the fees differed by a lot. 

Forgive me therefore if I am sceptical the the Broads Authority will get it all right this time - I have sent the form, BSS and a copy of the boat plans showing her measurements and will wait and see what happens in due time.

28 minutes ago, LondonRascal said:

I was charged various sums for short visit tolls - despite receipts sent to me in the post with the card payment receipt showing the same measurements the fees differed by a lot. 

Forgive me therefore if I am sceptical the the Broads Authority will get it all right this time - I have sent the form, BSS and a copy of the boat plans showing her measurements and will wait and see what happens in due time.

If you work form the BA tolls leaflet or the website for this yr then yiu can argue the case surely , don't be surprised if they  charge you a  50% toll less short visit payments for last yr though , that said short visit tolss are so easy to work out and its worrying that there should be difference's , this yr  for a 17 m boat ( 55'10" ) 1-7 days is £106.75  8-14 days £ 213.50 straight from the back of the schedule of tolls 17-18 , any more I'd have questioned it on the spot .

18 minutes ago, daf4trucks said:

I think you might find it is the LOA not the hull length x beam that is used to calculate the toll.

That's for short visit told only ,  annual tolls are hull length ( including swimming platforms that are fixed etc) x maximum beam including fixed fendering etc  .

14 hours ago, LondonRascal said:

Mooring:               £4,501.00

Insurance:            £1,342.00

Tolls:                       £ 979.76

Matters not how you look at it, boating is not cheap. Regardless of boat, the single highest outlay is mooring which is why I never quite get the moaning about the Tolls. The bit of wood and some posts you attach the boat to costs so much for what it actually is.

Wow!

your numbers have made me feel like mines a bargain.

my boat is 10.5m and each of your costs are more than double mine.