My First Cold In A Long Time

Antibiotics don't touch colds so unless a medico tells you to, don't take them. Phone your doctors surgery asap and ask advice. Believe it or not the receptionist will either give you sound advice, or will get a doctor to call you back. This is preferable to your going in and spreading it about.

You might also do well to phone up whichever Pharmacist you pick up your prescriptions from. Pharmacists are another source of good information. Whoever you do phone, don't forget to give them ALL the information. 

The meds are not for colds,but to use if I develop problems  with my breathing. I must keep them to hand,I have also got a advice sheet if and when to use them.After getting pneumonia I had a one off pneumonia jab.Eash year a flu jab.Its okay at present  and I knew sooner or later I would get a cold.All in all to go two plus years without a cold is not bad going.

Yes after some pretty nasty chest infections, I understand your anxiety, and also get jumpy about catching a cold.

Being asthmatic, I have a peak flow meter to assess my breathing when I think it's worth bothering, which it mostly isn't., I keep an eye on that if I have a cold. If it dips, I use my steroids kept in reserve. You can get these gadgets from any pharmacy good for a bit of reassurance. ....And MM is right as far as he goes, however pneumonia would be a secondary infection and then antibiotics are used. I would assess breathing, action steroids immediately it dips as a first defence. 

I also bought a blood oxygen meter for use if I am really not well. It's again reassuring and also informative if talking to doctor by phone.

Call your doctors anyway.