Broads Bug....

Alkemist

My partner and I have just googled the NB and blimey what a lucky bunch you are to boat around there! It’s stunning!

love the shape of the waterways, the flowers on the banks and the windmills. Jo is half Dutch and she commented on how parts remind her of Holland.

So she doesn’t know I’m asking this but should a miracle happen and we get shot of the littluns for a weekend, where would you suggest we head for please?

I don’t think we would want anywhere hugely busy/commercial but a spot that’s pretty and romantic (with a good pub!)

Place with the most suggestions goes on my bucket list.

Oh and obviously our boat isn’t up to it right now so any recommendations for a hire firm that can sort out a humble little 2 berth would be appreciated.

Thank you

Alk

23 minutes ago, Alkemist said:

I don’t think we would want anywhere hugely busy/commercial but a spot that’s pretty and romantic (with a good pub!)

Place with the most suggestions goes on my bucket list.

Oh and obviously our boat isn’t up to it right now so any recommendations for a hire firm that can sort out a humble little 2 berth would be appreciated.

Thank you

Alk

You could try 'Martham Boats' it's located above Potter Heigham bridge, so the area is very quiet. They have a couple of lovely little classic wooden two berth cruisers "Tumblehome" and "Jayne" to choose from.

You won't find many wildflowers lining the banks, this time of year, but the bird and wildlife will more than make up for that. There are three easy to reach pubs, the 'Pleasureboat Inn' at Hickling with mooring outside, the 'Nelson Head' at Horsey, only a ten minute walk from Horsey Staithe and lastly 'The Lion' at East Somerton, a five minute walk from Somerton Staithe. Of course you could explore further afield, by going downstream, through Potter Heigham bridge (the boatyard will pilot you through). But, personally I would stay above the bridge for the weekend, lovely walks along the beaches, with the seals beginning to 'pup' very soon. Also, the lovely nature reserves at Hickling Broad and Martham Broad with Chinese Water Deer, Munjac Deer, Brown Hares, Otters and the winter birds beginning to arrive too...

So, there's another one to add to your possible choices. Anyway, have a lovely time, if you do manage a weekend 'getaway'... :12_slight_smile:

Good ideas there, this time of the year is going into low season and quiet after half term, then take your pick, anywhere north or south of Great Yarmouth. 

Above Potter Heigham Bridge and hiring from Martham would be my choice, as already suggested; the boats are traditional wooden; they don’t cost the earth, but don’t expect mod cons. A nice yard with a friendly welcome.

I also like Summercraft Wroxham, lovely boats, and more modern. You have a good cruising area from there too. Colitishall, Horning, Ranworth would fill my weekend withSalhouse,  Cockshoot and St Benets on the way. Or head up the lovely River Ant. 

I’d not try to achieve big distances just savour what you do visit. 

Be warned, however, the Broads Bug is real and there is no known cure.:default_biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful, two years ago I took my wife on a one week holiday on the broads. She'd only ever slept on a small boat once and didn't like the "sploshy sound" at night and couldn't sleep. At the end of the week she went into Richo's office and booked another week off her own bat.

The upshot is we now have shares in two boats totalling 10 weeks a year.

It's very addictive :)