Keel cooling systems

You're in luck :)

In a keel cooled system there is no raw water present so all you need to do is ensure the anti freeze strength is up to par and you’re all set for whatever the British winter can throw at you. If she has external keel cooling it is obviously vulnerable to damage so worth an inspection on a regular basis, but you would soon know if it was damaged and leaking.

Excuse my ignorance here but although I have heard the words I have never come across Keel Cooling.

Would it give sufficient cooling to deal with a high powered leisure engine and if so what are the down sides?

Is it substantially heavier or does it take up a lot more space than raw water cooling and does it actually give you anything better than heat exchanger set ups?

Excuse my ignorance here but although I have heard the words I have never come across Keel Cooling.

Would it give sufficient cooling to deal with a high powered leisure engine and if so what are the down sides?

Is it substantially heavier or does it take up a lot more space than raw water cooling and does it actually give you anything better than heat exchanger set ups?

I may be wrong but think they only work on metal hulls. I know some one with a 12ft albatross Aluminium speed boat which has a keel cooled 1600 cross flow engine installed. Still needs raw water to cool the exhaust though.

I may be wrong but think they only work on metal hulls. I know some one with a 12ft albatross Aluminium speed boat which has a keel cooled 1600 cross flow engine installed. Still needs raw water to cool the exhaust though.

the keel coolers on the Albatross are integral to the hull, they are simply aluminium plates with a bulge riveted to the inside of the aluminium hull which have a inlet and outlet pipe. There are two coolers, one on each side of the hull, if you ever see an albatross out of the water they are obvious as they should not be painted..

Broads Keel coolers are normally either a big loop of 2inch galvenised pipe or more commonly tow brass manifilds with 4 or 5 lengths of 15mm copper pipe between them anout 5/6 foot long..